Eek! Neuter Appt Tomorrow!! Can't Handle The Fast, Heaaalp!!!

Ronin's Okaa

Ronin Hunter, up and ready.
Young Cat
Purraise
So Ronin (4.5 mo old Bengal) is scheduled for the big snip tomorrow morning. Of course we have the whole pre-op fast but I was having MAJOR anxiety about having to live through the 12 hours of starvation and the abuse that would insue, then commence the battle with the carrier/car/vet only to abandoned him allowing scary strangers to slice him agape!...(a tad dramatic).

I'm ashamed to say, I arranged with the vet to drop him off today the night before so they can with hold. His last meal is about midnight when he's played as much as I can stand and I'm barely coherent so he'll sleep in his room through what's left of the night without ruining everyone's life. I can't imagine hours of him asking me for food as he fades away into oblivion, organs feeding on themselves while he looks me DEEP IN MY EYES wondering why mama WHY! Then I shove him in his room all night alone and starving (again, slightly dramatic, sigh).

Sooo, has anyone survived this without professional intervention?
Am I seriously that weak?
Is it as hard as I feel like it is?
I'm also freaking about his quality of life in a cage in the vet from 5pm through to surgery the next morning. He usually has hours of raucous play, mommy time and wildlife watching. Thoughts, suggestions, anything is appreciated.
Thanks,
Shana,
Ronin's Okaa

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had many cats fixed over the years and never really thought about it that way. Might be because I don't eat breakfast normally but my cats do. Just missing one meal won't do him any harm, especially if he had that meal and got sick during surgery because of it. He's a young kitty and I'm sure he's going to do just fine. He will be a little hung over or loopy after the surgery and for a day after as well. You just love the little guy so much and that's why its hard for you and you worry as much as you do. Its normal when its your loved one. :hugs:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So Ronin (4.5 mo old Bengal) is scheduled for the big snip tomorrow morning.
Thanks,
Shana,
Ronin's Okaa
:hellosmiley: Shana, welcome to TCS :wave3:

Thank you for getting Ronin fixed. You are doing something good for him. Don’t worry about what he has to go through at the moment, it’ll be fine. Many of us have our guys fixed too.

It’s a requirement to stop his meal at least 12 hours before the surgery and also it’s ok to drop them off on the eve of the surgery. So that they can perform the surgery in the morning and you can bring your kitty home in the evening.

Here are some articles for you to read :-

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats
Spaying And Neutering - What To Ask Before The Surgery

Your boy will be a little daze when he comes home and just continue his routines as usual as in feeding, drinking and letting him use the litter box. He may come back with a E-collar to stop him from licking the surgery area. He may kick it off but it’s ok. My boy kicked off his E-collar the moment he reaches home and was off it ever since.

Just make sure that the surgery area is kept dry and clean and free of litter dust. If litter dust is stuck, use a warm damp cloth and gently dab the area.
Also make sure that in the coming days, there are no yellowish pus of smell. If there is, get him back to the vet ASAP.

The surgery is just a tiny slit which will take around two weeks to heal and it takes around 6-8 weeks for his testosterones to be fully discharged from his system.

Limit his jumping and running for the time being but you don’t really have to restrict him totally. Let him be himself and don’t worry so much :wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ronin's Okaa

Young Cat
Purraise
I have had many cats fixed over the years and never really thought about it that way. Might be because I don't eat breakfast normally but my cats do. Just missing one meal won't do him any harm, especially if he had that meal and got sick during surgery because of it. He's a young kitty and I'm sure he's going to do just fine. He will be a little hung over or loopy after the surgery and for a day after as well. You just love the little guy so much and that's why its hard for you and you worry as much as you do. Its normal when its your loved one. :hugs:
Thanks for that I really needed it. The vet just chuckles amused at me and ensures there’s no psychological damage from the betrayal (how would they know!). First thing in the morning he’s MORE than ready for his breakfast just 6 hours after the previous meal. I know it’s Kitten-Mind-Tricks and he won’t actually starve but he’s sooo ready to guzzle each meal ignoring him is unimaginable for me. Plus he starts being mean and abusive when he doesn’t feel heard lol.

The good news! the vet is letting me drop him off at the latest possible time of 6.30pm so I can run him around and get some play time in before lock down. I know I’m OD’ing on anxiety but he’s the center of our universe (sad I know) so it’s impossible to just move along with the night with him unhappy.

AFTER CARE ACTIVITY BONUS QUESTION: His kitty bed in his room is on top of a 36in high Queen bed. Even if I remove his bed I can bet he’ll get up and down off the bed since he’s been conditioned to sleep up there. Should I worry about him jumping up and down disturbing the surgery site???

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We all feel a bit rotten when we have to have surgery; it's a fact of life for cats as much as humans. I can understand why you feel so panicky over all of this, but it really isn't as bad as you feel right now. No, Ronin doesn't and won't understand why, but he doesn't need to. He understands the most important things, that you love him and he loves you. He also trusts you, and he's right to do so; this surgery will greatly improve both his quality of life and his chance of surviving to old age.

For right now, whenever your imagination starts running wild about how miserable he'll be at the vet's office, try to divert it to how happy he'll be when you come to pick him up and take him home. You'll be the hero! The wonderful person who (once again) rescued him! That will over-ride any residual memories about you taking him to the vet in the first place. Cats are very forgiving people when it comes to scary things like vet visits, and their humans deserting them (horrors! every day!) to go to work. Basically they just put it all in the category of "Okay, so humans are crazy, but we love them anyway."

I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer to your question about keeping him from jumping up; you may have to restrict which rooms he has access to. The vet can tell you whether it's likely to be a problem; neutering is a good deal less invasive than spaying, which means that the recovery is easier.

And welcome to TCS! :hellosmiley: :hithere: You've found the best community of cat lovers on the internet, and we hope you and Ronin remain members of this community for many years to come.

Margret

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ronin's Okaa

Young Cat
Purraise
:hellosmiley: Shana, welcome to TCS :wave3:

Thank you for getting Ronin fixed. You are doing something good for him. Don’t worry about what he has to go through at the moment, it’ll be fine. Many of us have our guys fixed too.

It’s a requirement to stop his meal at least 12 hours before the surgery and also it’s ok to drop them off on the eve of the surgery. So that they can perform the surgery in the morning and you can bring your kitty home in the evening.

Here are some articles for you to read :-

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats
Spaying And Neutering - What To Ask Before The Surgery

Your boy will be a little daze when he comes home and just continue his routines as usual as in feeding, drinking and letting him use the litter box. He may come back with a E-collar to stop him from licking the surgery area. He may kick it off but it’s ok. My boy kicked off his E-collar the moment he reaches home and was off it ever since.

Just make sure that the surgery area is kept dry and clean and free of litter dust. If litter dust is stuck, use a warm damp cloth and gently dab the area.
Also make sure that in the coming days, there are no yellowish pus of smell. If there is, get him back to the vet ASAP.

The surgery is just a tiny slit which will take around two weeks to heal and it takes around 6-8 weeks for his testosterones to be fully discharged from his system.

Limit his jumping and running for the time being but you don’t really have to restrict him totally. Let him be himself and don’t worry so much :wink:
THANK YOU! I was worried about the collar, I bought a semi-soft Velcro one but WAS NOT looking forward to yoking him in it lol. I'll keep an eye on him and if I'm not there to supervise I guess I'll put it on so he doesn't chew (sigh). The room I keep him in has a high bed in it that he normally sleeps on I don't know how to keep him off it or the dresser to limit jumping.

DISCLAIMER: Nothing keeps him off of anything, NOTHING. Not upside down runners, sticky paws, noise/spray bottles are laughable. I'm not really in agreement with electrified mats and am one step away from buying ridiculous automatic-air-puffer cans at $30 each but he must be kept in his own room while unsupervised. While we're at it help with keeping him off my flat screens would be great smh.