Eeek!!c Family feud-need thoughts~

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry this may be long!!

The backstory first.  I made up fake names!

About 15-18 yrs ago My husbands ("ted") only unmarried brother ("john") bought 90 acres of land from his dad with plans to build a house once he retired. A sister/BIL ("deb"/"bill") who farm continue to rent the farm-able land.

About 8-10 years ago my husband (ted) became interested buying some acreage in the same area both firewood and recreation. His dad and mother had both passed away and we had a small settlement from the estate.

The same deb & Bill who rent john's land told us about some property that was for sale.  It was his uncle/aunts (bill's) as his cousins wanted to settle their estate.  It was a good deal and right next to his john's land.  But it was at the time too much for use to pay so my husband formed an LLC with another brother (bob) and with john who has the adjacent land.  Their deb & bill also now rent from us the farm-able land.  But with this land and it was okay with us they deer hunt actually on both properties.  My husband John & bob  in the LLC do not hunt so it is okay to let someone else hunt                                                                                              

Fast forward to about three years ago, John wanted to build his retirement house but not on his orginal land but on the land he owns with ted & bob.  It was worked out that the John's  land would come in the possession of the LLC and the house was built.  Needless to say the deb & bill who rent the landfrom John were very very upset-thinking a fast one was pulled.  My husband has repeatedly told them he wants the land-in fact now all the land (170 acres) in the family name.  No one plans on flipping the property or renting the land to another farmer.                           

Now to last night!

We received two phone calls from one of the nephews who deer hunt & deb and that there was a deer hunter on our land.  It turns out that bob has let his daughter's "fiancee" (dick) bow hunt but he is not allowed to gun hunt (the season opens Saturday).  I just found out the Dick was on the land again this afternoon.  The background on dick is that everyone doubts he will ever marry my niece as they have been engaged for over 2-3 years.  Bob  (the nieces father) is in a jam as he has two grandchildren (not by dick) and is afraid his daughter will withhold visitation of the grandkids unless he lets this guy hunt.  I highly doubt it as they have the kids every other weekend for sure and pick them up from school etc.....

The Dick is also aware that other hunt this land but doesn't seem to respect this.  Its rut time for the bucks right now and of course there is supposedly a big one out there.

Again we don't hunt and both my husband and John would not have Dick on the land at all.  Bob doesn't seem so concerned and Dick supposedly got some items for the barn restoration a few years ago and Dick is pressuring him for hunting rights.

Now Deb & Bill and family are upset as they have been hunting this land for decades.  This can cause an actual split in the family.   We are thinking of informing Dick thathe cannot hunt during the month of November but don't know how that will work.  I think the guy should call us and ask permission from all John & Ted which of course he would be denied.  My husband is thinking we should put the land in a family trust as the Deb & Bill who rent the land are thinking that Bob who has children that those kids will inherit the land which of course cannot happen the way the LLC is structured.  Plus they wouldn't have the $$$.

I personally cannot stand Dick as he always seems to be working an angle and puts his interests ahead of others.  We have no contact with him unless he makes an appearance at a family gathering.

Any ideas to cause peace in the family???

Last edited:

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My immediate thought was family meeting with the owners of the property only. Everyone needs to agree on who can hunt there and who can't and how to handle it otherwise it will just blow up even worse. Options that popped into my head were outright telling him no he can't hunt there and post no trespassing signs ( assuming there aren't any already). If the main issue is not enough game for those that hunt that are owners, you could compromise and say he might be able to hunt there only after everyone else in the family has maxed their tags ( I'm assuming you are only legally hunting and tagging). 

I think requiring him to call all the brothers to get permission is a bit much. Everyone should to agree if he can or can't hunt there and everyone enforce that decision, either have one person act as spokesman to tell him or have all agree that if he calls they will enforce the groups agreement. 

good luck

Last edited:

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, but I got mega confused trying to keep track of who is who. There are far too many "brothers" and "SIL" mentioned.  Substituting with even fake names might help make the story easier to follow?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made up fake names if this will read better!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
My immediate thought was family meeting with the owners of the property only. Everyone needs to agree on who can hunt there and who can't and how to handle it otherwise it will just blow up even worse.
:yeah: I agree with this.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you :) I was able to follow it much better with associated names.

I have to first say that I'm against hunting.

Second, I have to ask if you all hunt on that land, why are some against this young man hunting on the land? Is he over hunting IE: Killing more than the allowed share? Or is it because he isn't a member of the family?   Or is it because the family doesn't like him?

So far as non-family members hunting, has anyone ever invited a non-family member to hunt with them on the land?

My advise is to have all of the partners who own this land get together and vote on who can and cannot hunt on the land. Majority wins.  If anyone who was voted as acceptable is found hunting, then the police are called and the person is charged with tresspassing.   Now this will of course lend itself to hard feelings for the obvious reasons.

The other option is for everyone to sit down, get to know this young man, and nicely explain to him that you do not want anyone hunting on the land outside of hunting season, and that if he wants to hunt, he is more than welcome to join your family on the occasional hunting trip.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband spoke with his to brothers yesterday and they agreed they should have sat down and discussed it with the family members and the people who have hunted this land for decades.  Hunters are very territorial and do not like anyone new hunting on their perceived turf.