Eating very little after vomiting

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi guys. It’s been a while since I posted. Need your advice on this issue I’m currently facing.

My 11 year old cat Meffy vomited brownish liquid on Thursday evening when I came home from work. She continued until the liquid was clear then stopped. After that, I decided to give her a bit of her favorite boiled chicken. She only ate a little bit that night. She looked, obviously, less energetic as usual and just sat there resting or napping. Usually she won’t sit still and runs around crazily.

The next morning, she also ate very little. At first she refused but I followed her around with her dish until she finally ate a little bit. Dinner again, very little food, just a few bites. This morning she didn’t want any food at all. She look led really eager but once I set the bowl down, she just sniffed and stared then walked away 😞

No more vomiting after Thursday and no signs of diarrhea either. Just 2 little poop due to less food intake. I saw her drinking some water this morning.

How long should I wait to take her to the vet? She looks so sad just sitting/laying still like that. I miss her nosy, annoying attention already.

Note: Meffy likes chewing on plastic bags and would vomit it out almost immediately. Then she would be back to normal. But this time it isn’t any plastic bag.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok my bf just sent me a video of Meffy eating the boiled mackerel he made for her while I was at work earlier. Like she ate a whole lot! Must’ve been starving after 2 days of tiny meals. I’m relieved that she’s eating. I will monitor her condition for now and will definitely go to the vet if her condition doesn’t improve. I hope she’s on recovery mode.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You're able to get her to eat canned or kibble cat food? She is missing certain nutrients that she must have otherwise..
I always leave some kibbles out in case they want to eat. I will try to feed her usual canned food tomorrow morning as she didn’t want dinner just now. I suppose it’s because she ate a lot at 3pm. She’s asleep now. As for her energy levels, it a bit better than yesterday but still no running or playing about yet.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm she’s still a bit moody when my other cat tries to be affectionate with her. Still don’t want any food. It’s almost 10pm now.
Looks like I better take her to the vet.

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aw, I hope Meffy is ok! I sympathize, my sweet girl Sadie had an episode back in March where she threw up all day - she does the same, finding plastic bags to chew on. Go figure, a extremely small piece got stuck in her stomach, and irritated her to no end. After the throw up session (let me tell you this girl is a true princess and HATES to throw up!) she had no desire to eat. I fought with her for two days before I sucked it up and syringe fed her. Luckily she started eating on her own a few days into it, but it was scary as all heck.
Crossing my fingers that your Meffy starts eating for you again soon!! ❤

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
BellaBlue82 BellaBlue82 Thank you. I hope too. Did you take her to the vet or did it resolve itself? That plastic eating/chewing habit is so annoying. I put all bags away in the drawer but she somehow manage to find something else.

She refused dinner and breakfast this morning. I noticed she also hasn’t been grooming herself. Sigh..poor baby looks so sad.

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
BellaBlue82 BellaBlue82 Thank you. I hope too. Did you take her to the vet or did it resolve itself? That plastic eating/chewing habit is so annoying. I put all bags away in the drawer but she somehow manage to find something else.

She refused dinner and breakfast this morning. I noticed she also hasn’t been grooming herself. Sigh..poor baby looks so sad.
blumarine916 blumarine916 Aw, I totally understand. Sadie was the same, just laid there for days, no grooming no purring, it broke my heart in two. I did take her to my regular vet, and she actually gave me a ringers bag (iv fluids) injected with B12, anti nausea medicine, and appetite stimulant that I could administer for up to 5 days. Sadly even the appetite stimulant didn't work. After so many days, she was on the verge of hepatic lipidosis - that was scary. I think part of the issue is she was spiralling in layman's terms, she didn't feel good so didn't eat which made her feel worse and not want to eat. That's when I resorted to the syringe feeding. It was a bit hectic, but I had a lot of help from this forum and videos on the best way to feed her. Once she had some food in her, she started to turn a corner!

I think after a week, that's when I saw the smallest piece of plastic in her poo. My gosh, all over a bag! I have no idea where she found it, but they all get put in the top of the basement steps and away from Sadie now!

Give Meffy lots of kitty kisses, I'll be thinking of you both. I keep hoping for some progress soon! 🙏

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
blumarine916 blumarine916 Aw, I totally understand. Sadie was the same, just laid there for days, no grooming no purring, it broke my heart in two. I did take her to my regular vet, and she actually gave me a ringers bag (iv fluids) injected with B12, anti nausea medicine, and appetite stimulant that I could administer for up to 5 days. Sadly even the appetite stimulant didn't work. After so many days, she was on the verge of hepatic lipidosis - that was scary. I think part of the issue is she was spiralling in layman's terms, she didn't feel good so didn't eat which made her feel worse and not want to eat. That's when I resorted to the syringe feeding. It was a bit hectic, but I had a lot of help from this forum and videos on the best way to feed her. Once she had some food in her, she started to turn a corner!

I think after a week, that's when I saw the smallest piece of plastic in her poo. My gosh, all over a bag! I have no idea where she found it, but they all get put in the top of the basement steps and away from Sadie now!

Give Meffy lots of kitty kisses, I'll be thinking of you both. I keep hoping for some progress soon! 🙏
That sounds so scary. I’m glad your Sadie is fine now. Usually Meffy would throw up the piece of plastic within minutes but that day it was just brown vomit until white foam. Not sure if the plastic is still in there. If there’s a need to use IV on her that sounds really serious. I hope Meffy isn’t that bad yet. Waiting for our appointment at 4pm today. Part of me feel bad for just not going to the vet yesterday but from the way she was eating up all the food and looking a bit better I thought she was going to be fine. ☹

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update:
I just received the worst news of my life. Meffy’s blood test shows that her Crea is 1130.60 umol and Urea is > 45, meaning she has kidney failure 😭I’m in total shock right now because I really wasn’t expecting this. I’ve fed her a variety of wet food and dry all her life so I wasn’t expecting kidney issues this bad. I always read that kidney problems mostly happen to cats that eat primarily dry food so I made sure my cats get a lot of needed moisture in their food.

I have to leave Meffy at the clinic for a week for them to put her on IV drips and try to get her to eat. She’s very dehydrated. Part of me feel like I have done something wrong and she will not survive being in the clinic for so long. But I have no other choice as I work full time and won’t be home on time to take her for her treatments everyday.

How long will she live? Is it possible for her kidney condition to improve and she would live longer? I’m so numb right now.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Don't blame yourself for the kidney condition or for leaving her at the clinic. Do read as much as you can on Tanya's website. The origin of kidney conditions is not always as simple as what a cat ate. I have a 6 year old who eats only wet food who already has problems. If Meffy needs supportive care like IV drips or feedings, she is best at the vet's. Will you be able to visit her there?

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aw I am so sorry to hear about Meffy... Please don't beat yourself up about it, she's at the vet now getting the care she needs. We do it best as parents, especially when we have to guess!! A lot of us have been through some very scary news, and now look back on it going "how did we make it through that??'' ❤
Hang in there, sending good thoughts and prayers for you and Meffy!! :vibes::redheartpump:

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't blame yourself for the kidney condition or for leaving her at the clinic. Do read as much as you can on Tanya's website. The origin of kidney conditions is not always as simple as what a cat ate. I have a 6 year old who eats only wet food who already has problems. If Meffy needs supportive care like IV drips or feedings, she is best at the vet's. Will you be able to visit her there?
It’s just that Meffy is strictly indoors and not used to strangers so she may get really stressed out at the clinic and may not even eat. It happened in the past when she had to stay 2 nights after a surgery. That time she just refused to each so they couldn’t feed her medicine. They called me to bring her home.

Yes I’m going to visit her today after work. We are still considering bringing her home and I will drop her off daily for her treatment, even if it’s really far from work. It just feels better to see her around the house, even if she wasn’t feeling well.

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’s just that Meffy is strictly indoors and not used to strangers so she may get really stressed out at the clinic and may not even eat. It happened in the past when she had to stay 2 nights after a surgery. That time she just refused to each so they couldn’t feed her medicine. They called me to bring her home.

Yes I’m going to visit her today after work. We are still considering bringing her home and I will drop her off daily for her treatment, even if it’s really far from work. It just feels better to see her around the house, even if she wasn’t feeling well.
Aw hugs to you and Meffy. My girl Sadie is like that, hates the vet clinic and stresses herself out. Twice I've had to bring her home and resume treatment myself. Takes it out of me, but it's the best I could do for her at the time. Stay strong!! ❤

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you can drop her off for daytime care, that is a good idea. It is hard with cats to weigh the options of leaving them at home while you are away, possibly not entirely safe, or taking them to the vet.