Eating very little after vomiting

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you can drop her off for daytime care, that is a good idea. It is hard with cats to weigh the options of leaving them at home while you are away, possibly not entirely safe, or taking them to the vet.
I brought her home yesterday. My bf and I decided it was better for her to be at home where she could relax. So I’ll just do the extra work of driving back and forth daily for her treatment. The vet taught me how to use the SubQ but I got scared seeing how big the needle was and poking my cat with it. Must take a whole lot of courage. She stayed quite still at the clinic but it would be entirely different at home.

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The SubQ fluid administration can be a little daunting. I had to give Sadie SubQ at home for about a week... At first she just laid there and let me put that big needle in.. after day 4 she started feeling better and that's when I had to give up! I couldn't take her yeows. 😳
Good luck, keeping darling Meffy in my thoughts. ❤

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just hope she starts eating normally again. She ate a bit yesterday and I’m not sure if she was the who ate the food in her bowl this morning. My other cat is supposed to be hiding in her room but she may have come out. I hope Meffy was the one who ate it.
Sigh…waiting is hard.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She didn’t eat anything when she came home yesterday and none this morning either. Her eyes look sunken from lack of nutrition. This on/off eating is so hard on us, just watching her like that.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Sometimes with cats, a smaller subQ needle is used, but it will proceed more slowly, which can also be a downside to the procedure. Let the vet know about the eating problem; I assume that if you are dropping her off daily, they are on top of it. They may need to syringe feed her.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I asked the doc about Cerenia and if Meffy could get it. She agreed. I also asked why was it not given earlier and reason was Meffy wasn’t vomitting. The standards here in Malaysia are not the same as in US or UK. So that is why while Tanya’s group is very helpful, a lot of what is suggested is not even available or done here. I called 3 clinics and their response and treatment is the same. The doc also gave me some compound Mirtazapine to run on her ears.

She ate some boiled chicken last night, not much but better than going empty for a 2nd day. I suppose the meds helped.

What kind of antibiotics are given for kidney cats?

fionasmom fionasmom Yes I’m dropping her off daily for 2x SubQ because she can’t be IV. She moved too much, tangled the tube, gets aggressive and tries to remove the tube, gets super agitated on the overnight stay. The vet suggested SubQ so I’m going with it.

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I asked the doc about Cerenia and if Meffy could get it. She agreed. I also asked why was it not given earlier and reason was Meffy wasn’t vomitting. The standards here in Malaysia are not the same as in US or UK. So that is why while Tanya’s group is very helpful, a lot of what is suggested is not even available or done here. I called 3 clinics and their response and treatment is the same. The doc also gave me some compound Mirtazapine to run on her ears.

She ate some boiled chicken last night, not much but better than going empty for a 2nd day. I suppose the meds helped.

What kind of antibiotics are given for kidney cats?

fionasmom fionasmom Yes I’m dropping her off daily for 2x SubQ because she can’t be IV. She moved too much, tangled the tube, gets aggressive and tries to remove the tube, gets super agitated on the overnight stay. The vet suggested SubQ so I’m going with it.
When Sadie was very ill, I also had Cerenia and mirtazipine to give her. I'd say by the second day it took full effect (at least the mirtazipine did.) Hang in there, hopefully Meffy will feel like eating more soon!🙏

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just got her test result after 7 days of SubQ twice a day. No improvements. The vet isn’t recommending anything anymore and confirms it is end stage CKD.
My poor baby is so exhausted with all this trips up and down the clinic.

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just got her test result after 7 days of SubQ twice a day. No improvements. The vet isn’t recommending anything anymore and confirms it is end stage CKD.
My poor baby is so exhausted with all this trips up and down the clinic.
I'm so sorry to hear that. 😔 Sending you and Meffy lots of hugs.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Got her the Cerenia shot and she still won’t eat. I don’t know what else to do.
Also is it normal for the skin on her leg to turn a bit dark after a blood draw? She got her blood drawn about 12 hours ago. Last week I only saw a small mark but now the skin below looks dark.
Is it just bruised or blood clot? Or is it because of her kidneys it became that way?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is possible it is from the blood draw, the key word being "possible." Are you still taking her to the vet during the day, in which case they would see it tomorrow morning?