Eating My Finger and Other Weird Habits

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if anyone has a former feral that tries to eat your fingers? Fayola has been doing this a lot. I'm not sure if she understands what fingers are but sometimes, she'll try to eat mine.

Is this normal? It usually happens when I have a little oil on my fingers or when I'm hand feeding. But, it can happen at other times too. Like when she's hungry.

She also doesn't trust anyone else in the house and will only take food from me. She loves to be hand fed and sometimes she won't eat unless I hand feed her. How should I stop this? I don't want her to become that dependent on me. My mom tried to feed her when I forgot and Fayola wouldn't touch the food until I gave it to her.

I think it might have to do with her not having teeth and food being more difficult to pick up but I'm not sure. I wish a bowel existed for toothless cats that have a hard time eating out of regular bowels. If such a thing exist, please let me know.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wonder if it's something to do with "stray/feral cat food obsession"? My Ruby was a stray for a bit before she was taken to the shelter where I adopted her, and when I first brought her home she was food obsessed, and also would try to nibble/bit my fingers. Particularly first thing in the AM when she wanted breakfast. Once she learned there'd always be more food, her hungry biting went away.

About Fayola not wanting to eat unless you're there, can you try having your mother feed her with you in the room. And then each time you could try backing away a little bit, until you're no longer in the room.

And about bowls, maybe something in this TCS article will be helpful:
18 Awesome Cat Feeding Tips By Thecatsite Staff Members

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if it's something to do with "stray/feral cat food obsession"? My Ruby was a stray for a bit before she was taken to the shelter where I adopted her, and when I first brought her home she was food obsessed, and also would try to nibble/bit my fingers. Particularly first thing in the AM when she wanted breakfast. Once she learned there'd always be more food, her hungry biting went away.

About Fayola not wanting to eat unless you're there, can you try having your mother feed her with you in the room. And then each time you could try backing away a little bit, until you're no longer in the room.

And about bowls, maybe something in this TCS article will be helpful:
18 Awesome Cat Feeding Tips By Thecatsite Staff Members
Thank you! It makes me feel better knowing Fayola isn't the only one.

Her and Felix also constantly fight over food and litter box privileges. That is the only thing they fight over. Otherwise, they get along pretty well.

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Missy was born to a feral mom. I got her through a co-worker when she was around 8 weeks old.

She (still) likes to nibble/lick my fingers and she does it in a very gentle way, without hurting me. I don't think it is linked to food obsession, since Missy has never been food obsessed (at all).
Most of the time she does it in the morning (not every morning), when I wake up, as part of her greeting ritual. Maybe she feels the need to groom me, who knows ?

IMG_20180520_055345_opt (2).jpg IMG_20180520_055348_opt (2).jpg

Last edited: