Eating her calories, still seems hungry

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since Delilah's ovarian surgery.... and my return to work on campus... Delilah seems more hungry. According to the last visit she's now up to 10 pounds (I adopted her at 7 pounds). The vet said that's still a good weight for her size and bone structure. She also said the calories are correct.

But Delilah seems very hungry. I give her a serving of Crave or Sheba (one of the cups) then she's licking the plate and looking for more. When I started back to to work, I was feeding her wet at 7am when I was leaving and left a serving of kibble (Crave indoor dry). I started to notice that she was jumping right from eating the wet to the dry, so she was hungry most of the day and devoured a big part of her cat grass. I was feeding her wet again when I got home about 5/6 pm, a few treats while we were having snuggle time, wet again bedtime and leaving kibble for overnight (and she was going eat that right off the bat). She's generally getting about 200 to 250 calories. She is completely licking the plate then looking for any tiny bits of food she might have knocked off. A couple of weeks ago I got her timed feeder to spread the kibble out (5 section, dividing her dry allotment 4 ways). She adjusted very well to the timer. I was home doing online teacher training. She was napping in her cat tree and as soon as she heard the timer open she woke up and went to the bowl.

I feel like she's looking for more food. I don't want to overfeed her. The vet says I'm doing fine but I feel like I'm missing something.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you are doing fine, she just wants more, as we all do at times. You might look for a good weight management dry, I leave out Science Diet weight management. That way she can eat a little more and not get as many calories. Start giving low calorie foods as her treats, such as deli-sliced turkey, or boiled chicken breast. Or start finding things that will up her exercise, like a cat wand or some interactive game.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't give more food necessarily. Has your cat adjusted to your new work schedule? If not, that can cause a bit of stress / boredom eating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wish I could give her chicken or turkey. She won't touch it. Even if the cat food looks too much like human food she won't touch it. I had switched to crave indoor since it was fewer calories and more protein than the Fromm.

I do play with her and she zooms around the apartment... and she loves pipe cleaners and these little plastic springs that she chases all over the place. She's iffy on wands and has a 30 second limit on lasers.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Rivel is the same. she will always want more unless i overfeed her. she will meow or yowl, but eventually gives up. if you're sure you're feeding right and fed her nutritionally balanced meal, just don't give in to the pleas.

i think it's worth it to use puzzle feeder/licking mats too since they will eat slower = feeling full. i read it's the same as some humans if we eat too fast we won't register the food and still crave more even though the stomach have enough food.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When was the last time she got dewormed? Worms might get more common during the summer/autumn as certain worms are passed through fleas. Although typically there is a bit unbalance between how much they eat and how much they gain weight when there are worms and your description doesn't sound like it. Still something to consider.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Rivel is the same. she will always want more unless i overfeed her. she will meow or yowl, but eventually gives up. if you're sure you're feeding right and fed her nutritionally balanced meal, just don't give in to the pleas.

i think it's worth it to use puzzle feeder/licking mats too since they will eat slower = feeling full. i read it's the same as some humans if we eat too fast we won't register the food and still crave more even though the stomach have enough food.
What's funny is she isn't a fast eater. She picks up a mouthful, chews it, sometimes puts some down if she picked up too big a mouthful. She's a delicate eater.

When was the last time she got dewormed? Worms might get more common during the summer/autumn as certain worms are passed through fleas. Although typically there is a bit unbalance between how much they eat and how much they gain weight when there are worms and your description doesn't sound like it. Still something to consider.
She was dewormed at the vet appointment.

I'm guessing it must be anxiety for me going to work every day (though she also does it when I'm home too). She's figured out the timed feeder though. She can seem to be sound asleep, hears the little "brrr" noise when it changes, and she's on it immediately.