Eating Habits Changed

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

So short story time.

A few days ago when I was waking up, I noticed Shadow wasn't getting in my face and trying to help wake me up.(shes been doing this since I changed work schedules).
It was still dark in the house (4:45am) and so I just got up and started my day.
As I am sitting in my mud room with a cup of coffee, she comes trotting in with something in her mouth.
She has a fuzzy brown mouse toy that she loves to play with and still being half asleep, I thought that was what she had. Turns out it was a real mouse. She went to go spit it out to show me her catch and it jumped up and ran off. She proceeded to look for it in the dark house, but I think she lost it.(Haven't seen it since, I think it went out the way it came in.)

I started to get ready for work, and went back to the mud room to feed her. Sat a few minutes watching her eat and then went to do a few more things. By the time I got back to where her food was (10 minutes later) her bowl was empty.

Since the day with the mouse, Shadow has been eating all of her food in one sitting. She used to pick at it, eating a little bit throughout the day. Often by the time dinner rolled around she would still have a few pieces of food in her bowl.

I am wondering if the mouse has anything to do with her now eating all her food at once. She hasn't been throwing it up or anything, so I know shes ok. I just don't know if hunting and catching the mouse triggered something in her little cat brain.

Anyone care to weigh in?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! ...and drinking and litter box all the same?
Wow, THAT's a big change --from one mouse and the fact that she lost it, I think this is great!
:drinking:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmmm... fascinating. :headscratch:

Ruby has, thankfully, never found a mouse to bring to me. When I adopted her, she was food obsessed. I assumed it was because she'd been a stray for a while. But maybe she'd found a mouse which triggered/changed her eating habit.

Ruby eventually got over her food obsession. It will be interesting to see if/when Shadow gets back to normal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! ...and drinking and litter box all the same?
Wow, THAT's a big change --from one mouse and the fact that she lost it, I think this is great!
:drinking:
Yea all her water drinking and litter habits are the same, that's why I wasn't overly concerned. I'm mostly just amused by the whole thing and curious if anyone else noticed changes like that.
Today when I came home, I was putting her measuring cup back in her food bag and she didn't come bolting toward the bag when she heard it crinkle. Not complaining though, it's hard to tell her it's not dinner time when I'm sitting there making a crinkly racket with her food bag. Haha