Easter Dinner??

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm hosting Easter dinner this year. The main dishes that I'm making are the turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes. My mother REALLY wants to help make food and my sister is going to make a cake and my nieces are going to decorate it (we are celebrating a birthday as well). So when it comes to sides and apps, I'm letting my mom be creative, so who knows what we are going to get. But I'm putting this question out there in case it gives me some good ideas to pass along to my mom. What are you serving for Easter dinner this year?

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We normally go out with the family for Easter dinner and usually have roast lamb or chicken served with carrots, wild beans, stuffing, Yorkshire puddings (a traditional UK side) and then normally chocolate or carrot cake for desert.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm rather at a loss. My GF is on a strict low-fat, low-salt, low sugar, no-sugar-substitutes-at-all diet. She has asked me to go to her house to make Easter dinner. I really don't have much of a clue what to make. I can soak/scrub the heck out of the ham to get rid of some of the salt. But I need to find a glaze that uses virtually no sugar. Either that or not use a glaze, which is probably what I'll do.

So....
Ham
Roasted sweet potatoes and squash (No sugar and the vegetables will get plenty sweet as they're roasting)
Asparagus with leeks (I'll sprinkle them with Tuscan Seasoning from Penzey's)
Dried corn (for Rick)
A simple chopped salad, using balsamic vinegar as a bit of dressing. A variety of greens with a bit of onion, celery, chopped peppers, chopped tomatoes, maybe a few radish slices, etc.

What to do for dessert? I'm making a lemon meringue pie for us, but not sure about what to make for my GF. I'll look through my Light and Tasty cookbooks to see what I can find that is really low in sugar and fat, but that uses no sugar substitutes.

I admit, I'm rather stumped on this one.

Oh, I forgot. I always make pickled red beet eggs for Easter. They have some sugar, so while I'm still going to make them, I'll probably keep them at home for Rick and me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My GF is on a strict low-fat, low-salt, low sugar, no-sugar-substitutes-at-all diet.
When you say "low sugar", will she still eat natural sugars from fruit or honey?

You could make a pretty fruit salad parfait with yogurt. Not really a dessert but if you dress it up nice, or layer it in a nice parfait glass it could look like a dessert for her. You could even top it off with shaved dark chocolate (80%) and a very light drizzle of honey.
With the ham, If you like the sweetness of a glaze, but don't want to make a glaze for it, you could bake it with sliced pineapples over it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can your GF work with monkfruit?

I don't know if you'd want the hassle (they taste good enough to make it worthwhile) but the South Beach diet has an espresso custard that would work - monkfruit sweetener is really the only safe sugar substitute, in my mind.
Anyway, you could take a look at diabetic desserts, those might work :)

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Is your GF making anything at all? Perhaps she can make a dessert she can eat.

On Thanksgiving I had two here that were vegans and then one that is Gluten-Free that will only eat poultry. I made special dishes that they could eat. The GF one only ate potato chips and dip and the vegan ones (that did bring vegan food with them) pretty much ate the heavily dairy laden mashed potatoes and mac and cheese and then packed a bunch of it for leftovers. :dunno:

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don’t really do a special Easter dinner ... but Thursday I’m going to an Easter party that will have ham, cheesy potatoes, rolls, veggies and a cake. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well my mom got back to me about what she wanted to make so with everything on the menu between my mom, sister and myself, we are having a feast! YUM!

Bacon wrapped water chestnuts as a little appetizer (mom)
Turkey with home made gravy made from drippings...I LOVE GRAVY! (me)
Stuffing (me)
Mashed potatoes (me)
Biscuits (me)
Cesar salad (me)
Mexican corn (well, my mom calls it Mexican corn, it's basically corn with tiny bits of red and green bell peppers mixed in to make it look festive and add more flavor) (mom)
Carrots and parsnips (mom)
Mashed Turnip (sister)
Cabbage rolls (mom)
Birthday cake (it's also my FILs b-day) cake will be made by my sister, but decorated by my nieces:thumbsup:
Ice cream (gotta have ice cream with birthday cake!)
Monkey bread (me)
Fruit salad (mom)

Our menu is a little all over the place, but that's what happens when you ask everyone for input. All I know is I'm excited to eat! :yummy:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
My GF was in hospital for lung problems and is on oxygen now 24/7. Her husband is now in the last stages of dementia. They are not doing well at all. She can't cook, she can't drive, she can't do much of anything. She cannot make a dessert. I'm going there to make dinner. I can do the ham at home, but will prepare the corn, the sweet potatoes, and the asparagus at their house. I do like the idea of doing the ham with pineapple. Thank you.

I asked her about dessert and she mentioned that I could make a very small lemon meringue pie for her with no crust. She says she is not allowed honey either....I asked her. I told her I'd need some sugar for the lemon filling, but I could probably do anything with any sugar in the meringue. We'll see.

Jem Jem , you're going to have a great dinner! Wish I could be there!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My GF was in hospital for lung problems and is on oxygen now 24/7. Her husband is now in the last stages of dementia. They are not doing well at all. She can't cook, she can't drive, she can't do much of anything. She cannot make a dessert. I'm going there to make dinner. I can do the ham at home, but will prepare the corn, the sweet potatoes, and the asparagus at their house. I do like the idea of doing the ham with pineapple. Thank you.

I asked her about dessert and she mentioned that I could make a very small lemon meringue pie for her with no crust. She says she is not allowed honey either....I asked her. I told her I'd need some sugar for the lemon filling, but I could probably do anything with any sugar in the meringue. We'll see.

Jem Jem , you're going to have a great dinner! Wish I could be there!
Wonderful of you to care for them and cook such a delicious dinner.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Well my mom got back to me about what she wanted to make so with everything on the menu between my mom, sister and myself, we are having a feast! YUM!

Bacon wrapped water chestnuts as a little appetizer (mom)
Turkey with home made gravy made from drippings...I LOVE GRAVY! (me)
Stuffing (me)
Mashed potatoes (me)
Biscuits (me)
Cesar salad (me)
Mexican corn (well, my mom calls it Mexican corn, it's basically corn with tiny bits of red and green bell peppers mixed in to make it look festive and add more flavor) (mom)
Carrots and parsnips (mom)
Mashed Turnip (sister)
Cabbage rolls (mom)
Birthday cake (it's also my FILs b-day) cake will be made by my sister, but decorated by my nieces:thumbsup:
Ice cream (gotta have ice cream with birthday cake!)
Monkey bread (me)
Fruit salad (mom)

Our menu is a little all over the place, but that's what happens when you ask everyone for input. All I know is I'm excited to eat! :yummy:
Feast for a king! Sounds wonderful!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister is cooking so everything will be amazing, just not sure what she's serving except for the honey-baked ham and cheesy potatoes, my fave.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally I had thought our son and daughter in law would be here on Saturday as he goes back out on the road early Sunday morning,but.....she found out they changed her schedule and she has to work.So.....I'm going shopping on Friday and am going to look at a rack of lamb that's on sale...maybe cut it into chops and grill them,roast some asparagus,make a cucumber,tomato and onion salad....I'm not sure about what else.I'm still thinking......

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We will be coming home after church for dinner, no company. We have New York strips to grill. I will bake potatoes and make a salad for us. Not sure about dessert but I am thinking pineapple pie with a gluten free pineapple crust.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I was supposed to make Easter dinner tomorrow for my girlfriend and her husband. My GF called me yesterday to tell me that her oxygen level bottomed out and she was admitted to hospital again. She's to be discharged on Monday. Some other friends are taking care of her husband as he can't be alone. She is completing paperwork to admit her husband into the dementia unit of a local nursing home. She didn't want to do this, but, with her own health so poorly, it really is the best thing to do, both for him and for her. She can't take care of him if she can't take care of herself.

My sister and BIL had invited us over to their house for dinner, but we couldn't go. So I called her yesterday, told her what happened, and asked if the invitation still stood. We're going over there now for dinner and I am to take a seven-layer salad, hot cross buns, and the lemon meringue pie. I'm also doing the ham, since mine is thawed and ready to bake and hers is not. (She'll make her ham later on this summer and we'll go over for dinner again.) She's doing mac and cheese, and either green beans or asparagus. It works.