Earwig problems...please help!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh boy do I feel for you..How gross!!

I freak out when I see those things. I would probably cry if I ever saw more than one let alone 50!!

I really hope you can get rid of them..

I had a fly infestation when I first moved here..and then a drain fly infestation...and I get house centipedes here...eeeeeeew, those give me the willies too. But none are as bad as earwigs

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we have tons of these in the garden, i have got my DH to spray a safe instectaside out there, it gets rid of them but year after year they come back. our plant pots out side has a big nest in it including woodlice(which dont bother me to much.
a good thing for indoors is sticky boards, put them behind washing machines fridges etc anywhere the cats cant get to them as they will stick to their coats and is a night mare to remove.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had some good luck with the diatomaceous earth this year. i still have earwigs...they are just staying outside as long as i keep the earth around the foundations/windows/doors. My poor hosta plants though look like swiss cheese...seems that earwigs adore making a luxury condo out of hostas.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they also love sunflowers to if you want to keep any of the seeds get them before the ear wigs get to them. last year they ate all the seeds, you would just see there bodys sticking out of the flowers, still looked like seeds in there but it was the earwigs you could see not the seeds. im also having a snail problem which loves one of the plants more then others argg.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Angelika

Diatomaceous earth is a type of fossilized algae that resembles chalk dust. . . . You can put it down under sinks, etc, where the cats won't get exposed to too much. a little won't hurt them. it even says to add a teaspoon to their food. Nikele
You must be sure you get the food or human grade Diatomaceous earth.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
earwigs are SOOOOOOOO gross. my gram used to have problems with them and they would get into the bed linens. we would always have to check for them before we went to bed.

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have any bright ideas, but eeeeeeewwww! I hate earwigs!!

It's because of them I always sleep with my hair over my ears, not that it would help if one got that close to me, but it makes me feel better ..

I had them in my apartment, one here and there, until I sprayed for ants with Terro. I have only seen one since... so that might work? I don't know, of course they may have treated the lawn outside too, I don't pay a lot of attention to that.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made the mistake of reading this thread and all I can say now is :

I don't envy you in any form or fashion. I would be moving the cats out for 24 hours while I BOMBED the living daylights out of the house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
earwigs are definitely high on my heebie-jeebie list too...i remember being out camping and finding them all through the tent and in the sleeping bag. Suffice to say i didn't sleep that night at all.

This year they've been mainly staying outside of the house...so that is fine by me!!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since we moved here we've had problems with them too but we've found that Ortho makes a granule that kills them outside and prevents them from coming inside guaranteed. Since we've used that two times, we haven't seen any. My neighbors paid $80.00 to spray their house by a professional, it took us about $20.00 for the same reason without a professional.

We just went outside after getting it, sprinkled it around the house and then it rained so we did it again a few days later. Come to find out that you need to get this stuff wet in order for it to work. Leave it to hubby to not read the directions before we puts it out!

We did nothing to the inside just so you know and haven't seen one since.

Good luck.

fraggles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After reading through this thread, I've found myself checking by my feet. We've had so much rain that the big insects are coming out to play.

I wish all we had to deal with are earwigs and silverfish! (No I don't. :C ) I nearly stepped on a giant wolf spider, and mistook it for a tarantula! Not even the cats wanted to mess with it.

I immediately packed the boys up, went to my aunt's house and bombed this place. I know I killed some really helpful and good insects, but... it was huge!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have earwigs here either, too dry usually.
However back in 96' when I first moved to Michigan with my mom I saw one crawl across my pillow. I didn't even know what it was, but it creeped me out. I ended up shaking out all the blankets and remaking the bed just to make sure there wasn't anymore.