Ears to the side?

ruthiesmom0724

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I’m a new cat owner! My cat Ruthie is 3 and we adopted her 2 months ago. I’ve been trying to learn about cat body language. When Ruthie is resting, her ears are usually to the side like this. Is that a sign of anxiety?

thanks!

2FFCFB9F-4263-401A-88D7-F5399C4DC5D6.jpeg

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I’m a new cat owner! My cat Ruthie is 3 and we adopted her 2 months ago. I’ve been trying to learn about cat body language. When Ruthie is resting, her ears are usually to the side like this. Is that a sign of anxiety?

thanks!
The way her eyes are closed and her posture suggest happy, content kitty to me. If she has her ears to the side like that a lot of the time I would think it is most likely just a goofy querk of hers. However if your environment is loud and and busy all the time it could be stress. Pay attention to how she responds to you in different positions. Cat body language is readable to a point, just like humans some cats may look upset and not be so.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The meaning of subtle behaviors in cats, such as this one, will be learned by you over time as you get to know Ruthie's entire personality - which probably hasn't been totally revealed to you in just 2 months.

Personally, speaking, I wouldn't say it shows anxiety as much as it shows she isn't completely relaxed. And, that could be from outdoor or inside noises, even the lighting. Most cats when totally relaxed will lay down to sleep, but that doesn't mean that will be the case all the time for Ruthie (or, any other cat, for that matter). I am not sure the position of her ears are telling me anything specific at all!