early neutering, catnip, general behavior

nwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I know this is a somewhat controversial topic, but what is the unofficial consensus on the impact of early neutering of male cats on their behavior? Mine was neutered at around 2 lbs, no clue how old he was. He is over a year old now, and still does not respond to any version of catnip (including silvervine, honeysuckle, and all sorts of blends.) I've read anecdotal accounts similar to this on other boards regarding cats that were neutered at 8-12 weeks, instead of waiting to 6 months.

So, is this all coincidence, or what?

HPeters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not all cats respond to cat nip. I think to accurately say either way would be a long process of studying many cats and their reactions to catnip pre and post sterilization. Its more of a preference than anything else I believe, I have one cat who goes nuts over it and the other just doesn't care

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whether a cat reacts to catnip or not is genetic. Many cats don't. It is the same type of thing as cilantro is with humans. Many people think it tastes like soap and others don't get that at all, it is a matter of genetics. When he was neutered has nothing to do with it. If he had the genetic makeup to react to it then he would.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've had 4 cats in my life, and only 2 have reacted to catnip. All 4 were spayed neutered prior to sexual maturity. Some cats like it some don't. Happily, there are plenty of ways to play without catnip.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy was done about 4 or 5 months old he loves catnip. He turns into a drooling love bug in between chasing invisible mice. When I was a kid we had a tomcat never done just didn't bother with it.

• Purraise
Reactions: nwc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Let me clarify. He reacts to catnip in that he becomes more playful, and if I give it to both my cats then they are usually play-fighting within a few minutes. I mean the exaggerated reaction like I have seen with most cats just isn't there. And since kittens in general do not respond to [insert_herb_here] until sexual maturity, I just find it a little suspicious.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some sources says that 30%-50% of cats don't respond to catnip. I think 50% seems a little high, but other sources seem to agree with approximately 30%-35%. So that's more likely to be the reason.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My boy was neutered at 2 pounds and he is a nip fiend. He is one who goes crazy for it and loves licking, playing with, laying on or generally being around catnip. He loves strong catnip and catnip toys. We have multiple cosmic catnip and small business catnip toys that he just loves and throws all over the house. Most commercial toys are not enough catnip for him, I probably look really funny smelling toys to see if they are strong enough.

20200501_134405.jpg

My girl, spayed at 6 months, was not big on catnip for the longest time. Valerian root though she has liked for a while and at about 2 years old she started liking catnip a little more. She's more of a prissy child and usually pretends to not like the toys until someone isnt looking or it is stronger catnip. The mat below has catnip between the layers and this is her normal reaction. She likes it but doesn't go crazy.

20191105_054229.jpg

There are different strengths and quality catnip out there and some cats are picky like a person picky on their coffee. But as others said, catnip tolerance, reactions and such are genetic not related to spaying or neutering.

Attachments