Early Morning Whining.

BestCatMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i know cats have a tendency to whine throughout the night, looking for their loved ones. Half a year ago, my cat would wake me up to feed her early in the morning. I changed her feeding schedule, and it seemed to help. For the past few months it’s been quiet in the mornings, until recently. My cat is currently 15 years old, and I, still in school. I keep bugging my family to talk her to the vets to get her shots and stuff.

I decided I wanted to know what was wrong. Maybe she found something. I know she is lonely because her little sister had passed away, but that’s been 1.5 years(maybe she just realized she’s not coming back). I followed her around the house, watched her sniff around, and gave her some food before I went back to sleep. For a while she didn’t come up, so I thought it was all good, until she came up again.

I think she might be getting ill but I would like some tips. I’ll keep updating.

(I would like to note that I have been leaving from 7:30am-10:30pm everyday for the past week, so it might just be separation problems)

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Once you have time, bring her to the vet. She must be seen by the vet to rule out any illnesses or injuries causing this behavior. A cat that is in pain may be sleeping throughout the night, but could experience discomfort upon waking, and thus may cry.

For older cats, they can suffer from dementia and confusion, and they become disoriented upon waking, so it could also explain why she cries as she is seeking for your presence to reassure or comfort her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BestCatMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Once you have time, bring her to the vet. She must be seen by the vet to rule out any illnesses or injuries causing this behavior. A cat that is in pain may be sleeping throughout the night, but could experience discomfort upon waking, and thus may cry.

For older cats, they can suffer from dementia and confusion, and they become disoriented upon waking, so it could also explain why she cries as she is seeking for your presence to reassure or comfort her.
Thank you, I will do my best. I worry about her and don’t want her going through a lot.

BestCatMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What time is she doing this? How early is "Early"? I've put a huge dent in my senior's dark hours Cat Opera by leaving a lamp on in the living room.
Normally between 4-6 but sometimes 12-2.

Faikey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat began doing this from some sort of infection causing him to be near alzheimers. Watch for circling behavior, forgetting where the litter box is, hissing inappropriately, running into things, and other things associated with issues with older cats.
A month after this weird behavior my cat was unable to even move. Blood tests showed nothing.
A steroid shot cleared it right up though. Take your cat to a vet immediately if you notice changes in their behavior.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try a lamp left on low in the living area for a night or two...won't hurt a thing!

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As cats age, some may suffer some degree of hearing loss. This can cause them to meow much louder as they get older.

Basically, they might not think they are loud and raise their voice.

Faikey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As cats age, some may suffer some degree of hearing loss. This can cause them to meow much louder as they get older.

Cats generally meow to communicate with humans. Not emptily towards nothing. Cats are actually quite quiet when no humans are awake or around for the most part unless they're in heat. A cat suddenly meowing and staring at nothing was the first sign that my cat was getting an infection that progressed badly in 3 months but was easily remedied by a doctors intuition. I have always brought in cats as soon as I notice they're even a bit off to a vet. My suspicions have saved many cat lives. One cat was simply acting confused like that and then he started making circles and began forget where the litter box was, even who I was.

BestCatMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat began doing this from some sort of infection causing him to be near alzheimers. Watch for circling behavior, forgetting where the litter box is, hissing inappropriately, running into things, and other things associated with issues with older cats.
A month after this weird behavior my cat was unable to even move. Blood tests showed nothing.
A steroid shot cleared it right up though. Take your cat to a vet immediately if you notice changes in their behavior.
I’ll try. I’m trying to save up to get all her proper shots and blood work. My family refuses to take her until next month, (they didn’t take the cats for 8 years and learned it wasn’t a good idea to forget about their health). She kinda stopped for the past two nights, but I still hope to get her all checked up. I left a light on in the kitchen where her food is. Hopefully it’ll help.

BestCatMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

She’s not getting louder, just more, often. I spend a lot of time working at night, so this is kinda new. No other signs than just whining, and stuff.

Faikey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ll try. I’m trying to save up to get all her proper shots and blood work. My family refuses to take her until next month, (they didn’t take the cats for 8 years and learned it wasn’t a good idea to forget about their health). She kinda stopped for the past two nights, but I still hope to get her all checked up. I left a light on in the kitchen where her food is. Hopefully it’ll help.
I just would watch out for any of the more serious signs I mentioned above, or if anything else changes, such as the severity of the noise, literally ANYTHING. Pay a lot of attention to the cats behavior and try and notice any subtle differences.

As someone who rescues cats frequently and have dealt with cats literally doing something not that strange but then literally seemed to completely die overnight, I know that small signs can explode quickly.

Its most important just to note ANY changes of food intake. Keep track of hydration, pinch the scruff and make sure it snaps back quickly. Monitor food intake. Monitor all changes even if they're small. As soon as they get worse it might be too late. Carecredit can be a great financing option for emergencies. I worked for them so I know the min. requirement for 500$ in credit which you have 6 months to pay back is about 600 credit score. I've seen people approved for lower credit too, in the higher 580's, especially at vets. I actually have like 4 care credit cards for my now 7 cats (haha).

Faikey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just would watch out for any of the more serious signs I mentioned above, or if anything else changes, such as the severity of the noise, literally ANYTHING. Pay a lot of attention to the cats behavior and try and notice any subtle differences.

As someone who rescues cats frequently and have dealt with cats literally doing something not that strange but then literally seemed to completely die overnight, I know that small signs can explode quickly.

Its most important just to note ANY changes of food intake. Keep track of hydration, pinch the scruff and make sure it snaps back quickly. Monitor food intake. Monitor all changes even if they're small. As soon as they get worse it might be too late. Carecredit can be a great financing option for emergencies. I worked for them so I know the min. requirement for 500$ in credit which you have 6 months to pay back is about 600 credit score. I've seen people approved for lower credit too, in the higher 580's, especially at vets. I actually have like 4 care credit cards for my now 7 cats (haha).
I WANT TO MENTION THAT MY CAT WHO HAD CKD that went diagnosed in his 14 years of life despite my trips to the vet concerning literally every single one of his symptoms as they came around (his weight loss, constant vomiting, withdrawal and inability to care for himself - all which triggered nothing suspicious or seriously unusual in every one of his blood panels!). He started meowing at nothing too. I joked it was ghosts. He would stare at blank walls and meow. His bad breathe was the only thing they had and they suggested dental cleaning which then caused him to immediately get an infection about 2 weeks after the surgery and die from total renal failure when 8 hours prior he was fine. When you do get blood tests PLEASE keep a copy and take note of any levels high or low and circle them out. Bring them up to the doctor. A lot of doctors will brush certain things off to stress but this is what resulted in my cats negligent care for his chronic kidney disease.

BestCatMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I WANT TO MENTION THAT MY CAT WHO HAD CKD that went diagnosed in his 14 years of life despite my trips to the vet concerning literally every single one of his symptoms as they came around (his weight loss, constant vomiting, withdrawal and inability to care for himself - all which triggered nothing suspicious or seriously unusual in every one of his blood panels!). He started meowing at nothing too. I joked it was ghosts. He would stare at blank walls and meow. His bad breathe was the only thing they had and they suggested dental cleaning which then caused him to immediately get an infection about 2 weeks after the surgery and die from total renal failure when 8 hours prior he was fine. When you do get blood tests PLEASE keep a copy and take note of any levels high or low and circle them out. Bring them up to the doctor. A lot of doctors will brush certain things off to stress but this is what resulted in my cats negligent care for his chronic kidney disease.
Thank you for the tips. The vets I go to are the best in my state and don’t put things off to the side (I’m very thankful for there work). My cat hasn’t changed much from eating, she keeps a steady food schedule (which brought my last problem because of the clock switch). Her only dental problem is her teeth are a little soft, but we’ve been working that out by “treating” her harder and larger cat food during my meals when she begs for food (vets idea, and it’s been going well). She only throws up everyone once an a while, like 1 every 1-3 moths. And he whining has only consisted of, feed me and, cuddle me so far.

I’ll look for more changes, but I really wanna look out for my baby girl, because she is pretty old.

PaulinPilsen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You have a very elderly cat at 15 years old. It’s good to heed the advice of a vet or a professional but one possible reason for the night time whining is early dementia. Of course, she misses her little sister, and perhaps, even this is a reason why her odd behavior exists now. She could be arthritic too, and maybe she is in pain. It could be anything. Try to comfort your loyal companion the best that you can. SHe is looking to you for help.

BestCatMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: I’ve been up all morning with my cat. The morning goes like it always does, cat starts whining for food at around 5. I go back to sleep. (Her middle of the night whining is slowing down a bit). She comes back, at around 5:30. She keeps rubbing her head on the walls, and demanding I rub her head.

I’m not sure if she has flees, or something. I think it may be a bit too cold for flees now, but I’m not sure. I’ll definitely check her later today.

PaulinPilsen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, to me, this sounds like the groans of an elderly cat. She might have body aches and pains like arthritis, and it might be more pronounced in these hours for some reason, or she might be going through something else age related.