Ear wax or ear mite?

neko2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!
Can anybody help me to see if Neko’s (5mo old, indoor kitten) ear requires vet attention? He gets this brownish red-ish dry discharge in his left ear (right ear is clean), and looks like the discharge is only in the outer part of the ear and in the crevices. I tried to look deeper as far as I can, and I couldn’t see any dirt. There is no obvious sign of redness or inflammation.

I first noticed this last weekend when he was scratching the ear more often than usual. I found quite a bit of this discharge. I thought that’s normal as I never cleaned his ear since I took him home two months ago. I cleaned his ears with an ear cleaner and he no longer scratches. I cleaned the ears again yesterday, and now there is a bit of discharge again.

I tried to search online to see what normal cat ear wax should look like, and couldn’t find any good and clear pictures. So is this just normal ear wax or possible ear mite?
Thanks!

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well...I looked. Then I looked again. If it is just normal ear wax, there's more than usual, however, with mites you generally see more "gunk" deep in the ear. And there's an off-chance that it could be flea dirt, as well. If it turns red after being wiped off with a wet cloth, that becomes more probable. However...my best advice is take him in and have a vet look at this. I do not think that it is mites, or if it is, it is an early infestation, and the sooner seen, the easier resolved (this is true no matter what it ends up being).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neko2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well...I looked. Then I looked again. If it is just normal ear wax, there's more than usual, however, with mites you generally see more "gunk" deep in the ear. And there's an off-chance that it could be flea dirt, as well. If it turns red after being wiped off with a wet cloth, that becomes more probable. However...my best advice is take him in and have a vet look at this. I do not think that it is mites, or if it is, it is an early infestation, and the sooner seen, the easier resolved (this is true no matter what it ends up being).
Thanks! It’s my first time owning a cat, so I have no idea what’s considered normal! And btw, how often should I be cleaning their ears? I talked to a few friends and they say they rarely need to clean their cats ears, but then I read online and see people also suggest to clean them “regularly”

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have never cleaned any of my cats' ears. But, I do know I have read that some cats are prone to producing more ear wax and if that would be the case, then routine cleaning might be necessary. Cleaning their ears would also be more likely in the case of cats who spend time outside - as it is easier to get into dirt/debris into the ear/ear canal.

I can't tell if your cat has mites or not, but they do feed off of dirt/wax in a cat's ear, and they generally cause itchiness. Your vet can easily diagnose ear mites - they can be seen in the ear with an otoscope, or your vet might swab the ear and examine the debris under a microscope to confirm.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hekitty doesn't produce a lot of wax, so I've never had to clean her ears. I'd just do it whenever they look "gunky."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neko2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! I have been checking on his ears daily, and I think the situation has improved in the last two days. The vet said to keep an eye on it and book an appointment if he continues to get a lot of discharge. Fingers crossed!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a little female that has that dark, brownish/black discharge too, more in one ear. I have come to the conclusion that it is normal for her. she also has allergies that cause her skin to get sores. The vet looked at it and doesn't seem too concerned, he said to bring her in if it increases drastically. When I see it building up, every few months or so, I take a Q-tip and miosten it with olive oil and clean the visable discharge in the folds of the ear. NEVER go down into the ear canal itself, you can damage it. It's surprising the amount of gunk I get, I go through several Q-tips.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The thick black dirt is more likely to be mites, although they aren't even all that common. It is usually ear wax or a variety of bacteria, yeast, and other microscopic things.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Black means it is bacteria that changes once it is exposed to air. I learned that when I had a cat that had oral cancer and spread the black, tarry looking substance all over his body. It was very puzzling until the vet explained.

catholder1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! It’s my first time owning a cat, so I have no idea what’s considered normal! And btw, how often should I be cleaning their ears? I talked to a few friends and they say they rarely need to clean their cat's ears, but then I read online and see people also suggest to clean them “regularly”
Hello to reply to your question you should not clean your cat's ear very often
Kittens usually clean their own ears. But if they have ear mites, you may see crumbly brown or blackish stuff inside the ears. The kitten may also hold one or both of its ears askew, scratch at them, and look uncomfortable.
In general, cats who have ear mites, they shake their heads, scratching at their ears or seem sensitive about having their ears petted or rubbed near are likely candidates for ear mites.
Here you will find some details to take consider if this is your first time owning a cat : How to Clean Your Cat's Ears - ThesecLife

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There should be no need to clean a cat's ears regularly, no more so then giving them a bath. Just wipe gently the outer inside ear, never go deeper into the canal. I have never cleaned two of my cat's ears, one does have a little discharge problem maybe like once a year, I take a clean, warm, wet rag and clean it off then.

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello!
Can anybody help me to see if Neko’s (5mo old, indoor kitten) ear requires vet attention? He gets this brownish red-ish dry discharge in his left ear (right ear is clean), and looks like the discharge is only in the outer part of the ear and in the crevices. I tried to look deeper as far as I can, and I couldn’t see any dirt. There is no obvious sign of redness or inflammation.

I first noticed this last weekend when he was scratching the ear more often than usual. I found quite a bit of this discharge. I thought that’s normal as I never cleaned his ear since I took him home two months ago. I cleaned his ears with an ear cleaner and he no longer scratches. I cleaned the ears again yesterday, and now there is a bit of discharge again.

I tried to search online to see what normal cat ear wax should look like, and couldn’t find any good and clear pictures. So is this just normal ear wax or possible ear mite?
Thanks!
the brown stuff on the outer area is similar to what my cat had.. did you find out if it was ear mites or not?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bacteria turns dark when it hits the air. Your cat could have an ear infection and may need drops. Ear mites look much like what you describe, but are so contagious both ears would be infected.