Ear Wax Buildup

jln301

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 4-year-old female (Leia) has started with a waxy buildup in her right ear only. It is honey-colored and very sticky. It appears to be leaking from her ear and getting stuck in her fur. So much of it that it has clumped on multiple occasions like a ball of sticky wax. I initially thought perhaps ear mites as she is leash trained and we let her sit outside with us. But even on a q-tip it does not appear to be overly dark. She doesn't appear to be too uncomfortable until of course we hold her get a look at her ear and clean her fur off. She is walking just fine, perhaps slightly more lethargic than usual but that could also be the extra outside time as the weather is nicer. I'm trying to get her a vet appointment but with Covid restrictions still in place it will be some time before she is seen. Has anyone had anything like this before? I'm just trying to gauge what we might be facing when we take her to the vet since almost everything online says ear problems are immediately mites.

Thank you!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm sorry your cat is having a problem with waxy buildup in her ear. I understand your frustration about getting a vet appointment due to the current restrictions of Covid-19, Even though she may not have mites you have to be careful when using a q-tip to try and clean her ear. I thought this Article although it discusses mites might be helpful because it explains how to properly clean the ear: Ear Mites In Cats

These two threads about ear wax and cleaning cat ears may also have some tips and advice for you:
Ear wax or ear mite?
Dirty Ears (mostly Right One)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jln301

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm sorry your cat is having a problem with waxy buildup in her ear. I understand your frustration about getting a vet appointment due to the current restrictions of Covid-19, Even though she may not have mites you have to be careful when using a q-tip to try and clean her ear. I thought this Article although it discusses mites might be helpful because it explains how to properly clean the ear: Ear Mites In Cats

These two threads about ear wax and cleaning cat ears may also have some tips and advice for you:
Ear wax or ear mite?
Dirty Ears (mostly Right One)
Thank you! I should've been clearer that I'm not really going at her ear with a q-tip but rather taking the obvious gunk on her outer ear and in her fur off with it rather than my fingers. I've looked over the resources and it looks like I just have to wait for that vet appointment for a real answer. Thank you again!