Ear question

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello. Today my cat Binx started holding his ear slightly out to the side. He is not tilting his head and seems otherwise himself; no balance or appetite issues. Earlier today I noticed him scratching the ear a bit. He will not let me near it to look at it. Does this warrant a trip to the vet?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello. Today my cat Binx started holding his ear slightly out to the side. He is not tilting his head and seems otherwise himself; no balance or appetite issues. Earlier today I noticed him scratching the ear a bit. He will not let me near it to look at it. Does this warrant a trip to the vet?
Hard to say. On the surface, it sounds like he might just have a dirty ear. My Baby Su, 16, has a reoccurring issue with one of her ears and I use Zymox ear cleansing solution, bought over the counter from Petco.com, for this. *I'd paste the URL here, but it's too long. If you google it, or go to the site and look it up, it's the "plain" one for $11.99.* As long as Binx is indoors-only, there shouldn't be any problem with ear mites. If he'll ever let you look in his ear, it would help. If it gets worse, you might describe the problem to his vet and see what (s)he thinks.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If this persists and he never lets you look at it or use anything to clean it, yes, then take him to the vet before something gets worse.