Ear Problem

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok so my kitty has been scratching inside of ears alot recently . So I took him to the vet. I had him check his ears. But this vet is in Japan and the doctor had me hold Levi. The doctor made a Q-tip out of cotton and a stick and jammed it in his ears hard. I was shocked. Now my poor kitty has ears in weird angles. he doesn’t keep them like he used to he also doesn’t like me touching his head. He used to love head scratches but now hates them. While playing back up normal but the right one sometimes reverts to weird position. I’m worried the doctor did something wrong. My mom thinks that he will be OK and that his ears are just sore. But I’m worried the doctor did a big damage in his year. Anyone have any advice ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!
When was this?
Hopefully your kitty's ears recover.
it was yesterday night and not better. He keeps putting them down like he is hurt even when purring and me petting him.
ill post video

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a beautiful cat you have!

Looking at the video, I'm thinking that because he lets you touch his ears that much, that over time he'll be ok .
Sometimes ears take a while to heal and I'm not a vet, but in a week or so I'm hoping you see his ears start to be back in their normal position. But, it may take time.

I'm so sorry that happened. Does it seem to you that he can hear the same as before?

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful cat you have!

Looking at the video, I'm thinking that because he lets you touch his ears that much, that over time he'll be ok .
Sometimes ears take a while to heal and I'm not a vet, but in a week or so I'm hoping you see his ears start to be back in their normal position. But, it may take time.

I'm so sorry that happened. Does it seem to you that he can hear the same as before?
I really hope your right! :) I want my baby to be happy again.
I think he can hear the same because when I came home he heard the lock and came running. So I think he can.
I just hate that he shakes his head alot now because he never used to do that

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so my kitty has been scratching inside of ears alot recently . So I took him to the vet. I had him check his ears. But this vet is in Japan and the doctor had me hold Levi. The doctor made a Q-tip out of cotton and a stick and jammed it in his ears hard. I was shocked. Now my poor kitty has ears in weird angles. he doesn’t keep them like he used to he also doesn’t like me touching his head. He used to love head scratches but now hates them. While playing back up normal but the right one sometimes reverts to weird position. I’m worried the doctor did something wrong. My mom thinks that he will be OK and that his ears are just sore. But I’m worried the doctor did a big damage in his year. Anyone have any advice ?
Can you take him to another vet to double-check that his ears are absolutely okay?! I'm not sure if he is in pain (it's hard to tell), but he definitely is feeling something going on in those ears. I don't think he should be laying his ears low and shaking his head a lot. Was he prescribed any ear meds or have his ears tested for parasites or anything? (I cringed with how you described the vet jamming a Q-tip in his ears hard. Yikes!) Maybe something got dislodged and/or pushed farther down into his ear canals -- or more severe damage was done... I don't know myself. I would go to another vet, if you know of one! Otherwise, contact the vet again, show the video and express your worries that something may have happened with that "jamming of the Q-tips".
:vibes: :alright:

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What did the vet say about the ear issue that you took your kitty in for?

When Radar had polyps in his ears, the vet had to clean some blood up out of the ears - put a q tip in quite a long way to mop up blood so that he could see in the ear - and examine them with an otoscope (the device with a light that they use to look deep into the ear).

Radar felt some discomfort but that was because he needed surgery to fix the issue, all the vet did at that point was examine him and investigate the ear problem.

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you take him to another vet to double-check that his ears are absolutely okay?! I'm not sure if he is in pain (it's hard to tell), but he definitely is feeling something going on in those ears. I don't think he should be laying his ears low and shaking his head a lot. Was he prescribed any ear meds or have his ears tested for parasites or anything? (I cringed with how you described the vet jamming a Q-tip in his ears hard. Yikes!) Maybe something got dislodged and/or pushed farther down into his ear canals -- or more severe damage was done... I don't know myself. I would go to another vet, if you know of one! Otherwise, contact the vet again, show the video and express your worries that something may have happened with that "jamming of the Q-tips".
:vibes: :alright:
No other vets near me at all and I can’t drive. I called and said I think u hurt my cat and he just said “If ur worried we can check again” but the thought of him near cats ears scares me.

The ears today have become better. They were low when I came home but then I realized I took him to the vet right after I cane home that night so maybe ge is scared im taking him back or will touch his ears. The head shales less frequent too. If any headshakes persist by weekend I will take him back to vet but maybe psd because he seems to be better than previous two days. Also when he jammed qtip and pulled out said in English “ pretty ears” which he mean clean. So no blood when he checked

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What did the vet say about the ear issue that you took your kitty in for?

When Radar had polyps in his ears, the vet had to clean some blood up out of the ears - put a q tip in quite a long way to mop up blood so that he could see in the ear - and examine them with an otoscope (the device with a light that they use to look deep into the ear).

Radar felt some discomfort but that was because he needed surgery to fix the issue, all the vet did at that point was examine him and investigate the ear problem.
Thankfully no blood when he check Levi just said healthy ear and said pretty ears which he meant clean lol He showed me qtip and no blood.
This vet is strange. When I got Levi balls removed he called me to the back room and showed me the testicles on a plate and he is Japanese said “ Pretty testicles” again by pretty he meant healthy but why on earth would I want to see that!? He is a little nutty. I am moving to USA in a few months so just 2 more visits.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are the additional vet visits so you can fulfill the health certificate and paperwork requirements to bring Levi to the US?

If the vet is a jerk, that's just more difficult.

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I'm so happy to hear your baby's ears are improving!!
2 more vet visits?
visit 1: get rabies shot January
vusit 2: health check form to turn into quarentine at airport 2 weeks prior to flight

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are the additional vet visits so you can fulfill the health certificate and paperwork requirements to bring Levi to the US?

If the vet is a jerk, that's just more difficult.
Yea not many at all. I told him over the phone he has to be more gentle. So he better listen