Ear mites

cookiedough03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, one of my cats has ear mites. I used a local brand ear mite drug both on my cats. The package said apply for 5-7 days twice daily after ear cleaning. I treated them for 6 days following the instructions. Few days later problem did not resolve they both scratch their ears. I am considering using Revolution as it seems less stressful than Oridermyl.

Is it effective to kill ear mites ? if I use Revolution I understand I have to use it once a month but for I can't find for how long? anyone has some experience with this please help. Thank you.

I am very worried about ear mite infestation and transmission.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. In addition to treating the ear mites, you should also do a thorough cleaning of your house (anywhere your cats spend time), just to get rid of any eggs that the cats may have 'dropped'. If the mites were present long enough, they could have caused a bacterial or yeast infection which could explain why the cats are still scratching their ears. The infection would have to be treated separately in order to get rid of it. That means a vet visit. It might also be necessary to treat for the mites longer than just 6 or 7 days.

Revolution will kill ear mites, but is a preventative measure, so you will still need to try and clear up the mites with meds, clean the house, and ensure there is no secondary infection. Depending on where you are located and if you allow your cats outdoors, you may need to treat them with Revolution year-round.

Last edited:

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you have indoor only kitties, I would treat with Revolution for 2-3 months (make sure you treat every animal within your house). You could also use Bravecto, Revolution plus or Advantage multi. Luckily, ear mites spend their entire life cycle on the host so you don’t have to be too concerned about an infestation like you do with fleas.

If their ears don’t get better, I would definitely follow up with a vet as something else might be going on as FeebysOwner FeebysOwner eluded to.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cookiedough03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are both indoor cats and even scared of going outside (when we go to the vet). One, Bailey, still has the coffee grinds in her ears. The vet just looked at this and said ear mites. First it got better then it is back. The other, Coco, her ears looked clean throughout the process but she scratches sometimes.

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you have indoor only kitties, I would treat with Revolution for 2-3 months (make sure you treat every animal within your house). You could also use Bravecto, Revolution plus or Advantage multi. Luckily, ear mites spend their entire life cycle on the host so you don’t have to be too concerned about an infestation like you do with fleas.

If their ears don’t get better, I would definitely follow up with a vet as something else might be going on as FeebysOwner FeebysOwner eluded to.
If you have an outdoor indoor cat, what medicine would you recommend?

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. In addition to treating the ear mites, you should also do a thorough cleaning of your house (anywhere your cats spend time), just to get rid of any eggs that the cats may have 'dropped'. If the mites were present long enough, they could have caused a bacterial or yeast infection which could explain why the cats are still scratching their ears. The infection would have to be treated separately in order to get rid of it. That means a vet visit. It might also be necessary to treat for the mites longer than just 6 or 7 days.

Revolution will kill ear mites, but is a preventative measure, so you will still need to try and clear up the mites with meds, clean the house, and ensure there is no secondary infection. Depending on where you are located and if you allow your cats outdoors, you may need to treat them with Revolution year-round.
My cat had brown spots on her outer ear area and was also having trouble sleeping constantly (seemed to wake up every 10 minutes and move to a.different position).. she was also nearly scratching her eyeball but I think trying to scratch her ear.

I gave her a topical medication that seemed to lessen the inflammation/constant scratching around her ear, however she still was not sleeping good.

Do you think this was more likely ear mites or a yeast/bacterial infection? I'm confused on how the symptoms DIFFER if a cat gets a bacterial/yeast infection. Thanks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you think this was more likely ear mites or a yeast/bacterial infection? I'm confused on how the symptoms DIFFER if a cat gets a bacterial/yeast infection.
I don't think there is a guaranteed way to differentiate between the two, especially since ear mites can cause an infection. Your cat could actually have both. Or, you've treated the mites, but not a related infection.

Your cat likely needs to be seen by a vet to confirm or rule out an infection. If there is an infection, antibiotics/topical meds will be needed to eradicate it.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, one of my cats has ear mites. I used a local brand ear mite drug both on my cats. The package said apply for 5-7 days twice daily after ear cleaning. I treated them for 6 days following the instructions. Few days later problem did not resolve they both scratch their ears. I am considering using Revolution as it seems less stressful than Oridermyl.

Is it effective to kill ear mites ? if I use Revolution I understand I have to use it once a month but for I can't find for how long? anyone has some experience with this please help. Thank you.

I am very worried about ear mite infestation and transmission.
When we got our kittens in May, both had ear mites. The vet did a thorough cleaning and prescribed Revolution Plus. We are two months out and haven't had any more issues with mites.

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you have an outdoor indoor cat, what medicine would you recommend?
Depends on where you live. Are ticks a problem in your area? Where I’m at, we have a huge tick burden and cytauxzoon felis (bobcat fever). It’s transmitted by ticks and is generally lethal even with treatment. Thus, protecting kitty from ticks would be of my utmost concern with an outdoor kitty and I would choose Revolution plus or Bravecto. If ticks are not a problem in your area then I am a huge fan of original Revolution. I use original Revolution on my indoor only kitties during the summer months to prevent heartworms and fleas. It dries fast and is non-greasy. Covers everything but ticks.

Hope that helps.

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When we got our kittens in May, both had ear mites. The vet did a thorough cleaning and prescribed Revolution Plus. We are two months out and haven't had any more issues with mites.
Were your kittens just indoors or outdoor/indoors?

My cat was both so unfortunately was always dealing w some sort of flea/earmite issue

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Were your kittens just indoors or outdoor/indoors?

My cat was both so unfortunately was always dealing w some sort of flea/earmite issue
They were born in a barn and were outside the first two months of their lives until I adopted them. Since then, indoors only.