Ear mites or just dirty?

nori.lychee.sesame

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve noticed that my kitten, Sesame, has had some stinky ears. I looked into them and they look a bit dirty (pictured below) and after further research, found out that they might be ear mites.

Should I make a vet appointment for this? I also have two other cats, so should I take them to the vet too just in case they got infected?

Thank you!

AFC2054F-A6A5-4D37-8005-8908025338BD.jpeg

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Should I make a vet appointment for this?
Looks like ear mites to me. The dark discharge are a mixture of ear mites themselves, blood, wax and debris. Better bring in for a check and have the ears cleaned by the vet. Most likely they'll do a test to confirm if it's ear mites. If left unchecked, the debris can block top the ear canal and complicate things.

If it's serious, it may have to be clean out several times and after that just do a maintenance on the ears to keep them clean.

ear-mites-in-cats

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nori.lychee.sesame

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the insight! We weren’t sure whether or not he had ear mites because we recently took him to the vet about a week ago and they didn’t mention anything, so we figured he was alright...

I’ll be making an appointment for all 3 cats tomorrow! Thanks for the help!

Better bring in for a check and have the ears cleaned by the vet.
ear-mites-in-cats

UnoMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Uno came from the streets, and had a much worse case of mites - this looks like it's the start of ear mites (uno's ears looked like this after a few cleanings) so hopefully you've caught it just in time.

agree with what tabbytom tabbytom has said. In addition to having the vet do a cleaning, ask if they feel the need to prescribe ear drops that will kill any remaining mites in the ear canal. It's some discomfort to the cat but nothing more serious so don't worry.

Hopefully your kitty is over the infection (if it's that) soon!

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty has dirty ears that are not related to ear mites (or anything else concerning). Sure looks like it, with dark deposits of wax. But I checked with two different vets several months apart. Hopefully your vet can assure you one way or the other.

I clean her ears when she lets me but it's a Sysiphian task.