Ear mites in pregnant mom

oreocookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK, so Grey has been able to be treated for fleas with Advantage II, but I really think she may have ear mites!  She has VERY dark "crap" in her ear (more one than the other) and is scratching it often (even made it bleed a little on the outside by cutting herself).  The ear mite medication I have said it is NOT safe to use on pregnant cats or young kittens (under 8 weeks).  I have looked and can not find anything for ear mites that is safe for pregnant cats.  I am in an area that is having VERY bad flooding right now so a vet is not an option for this (only open for emergency visits).  What can you recommend?  I do not want her passing them to Oreo (may be to late) and really do not want her kittens to get them when they are born!!!!!!! 

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Revolution is safe for pregnant and lactating moms, and treats fleas, prevents heartworm, treats and controls ear mites, and treats hookworm. Poor momma, I rescued 3 kittens this year that had the worst ear mites I had ever seen! Hope she gets better soon!

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
AND if you can't get somewhere where you can get Revolution, you can put a drop or two of vegetable oil in her ear, massage it around then let her shake it out and then remove excess liquid and gunk with a cotton ball. Doesn't cure ear mites, but it does help them a little for the moment,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oreocookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much!!  I may have to do the veggie oil till the roads open, but I will get the Revolution ASAP!!!  I will go ahead and do Oreo as well, just to be safe!!  The vet sold me Advantage II stating it did all of this, but I think they may have sold me the wrong one?  I looked on line and Advantage II does not say it does the worms and mites like Revolution!! 

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she has them bad I would gently clean them out with a q-tip, she will scratch like crazy when you do this. Then use vegetable or even olive oil to smother them, I usually use a little more than a few drops and massage the ear with it in there before you let her shake. Be warned you will probably get covered in nasty black gunk doing this. But it is better for some relief until you can get some Revolution.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Olive oil in the ear, a drop or two, is actually a working home remedy.  Not super effective but working. The mites tend to suffocate / drown in the oil. Not effective against severe mite infections, but doesnt hurts either. 

Other oils are also possible, but olive oil is also somewhat soothing by itself.  Olive oil is also a common base in many skin-irritation soothing pastes and so.

The problem is, there are different recipes how to do it.

Some recommend to just drop in two drops into the filth, so the mites do drowns in all this fatty masses.

Some recommend to first try to clean up the worst, and first then - drop in this one drop of oil. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oreocookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all, I am going to try to use the Olive oil remedy for now.  My vet is located in a location that has been evacuated and is now under water and part of the road has caved in (sink hole). 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you order Revolution on the Internet without a prescription?  If you can that will be faster than waiting for your vets to dry out...