Ear Infections And Shelter Surrender

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So we got home a while ago but i had to go get more KMR for the foster babies.

Dr. Merker said he sees a certain kind of infection which isn't good but thinks we can resolve it with a longer round of antibiotics. The plan was 21 days of oral antibiotics. I asked for liquid because he is not easy to pill. Mostly because his head is so big i can't hold it still with my little hands lol. So we got it all set up and they did a deep clean and got him to sling some of the yuck out of his ears. I was waiting for my meds when he came back and said they were out of those meds so they are giving him a high dose antibiotic shot that last about 2 weeks. So they gave him the shot and want me to continue his topical meds as well. I have to go back in 2 weeks to have a follow up. They are so wonderful he only charged me $35 for the entire visit. He knows i give them a TON of money and he is always trying to help me. Best Vet EVER!!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So we got home a while ago but i had to go get more KMR for the foster babies.

Dr. Merker said he sees a certain kind of infection which isn't good but thinks we can resolve it with a longer round of antibiotics. The plan was 21 days of oral antibiotics. I asked for liquid because he is not easy to pill. Mostly because his head is so big i can't hold it still with my little hands lol. So we got it all set up and they did a deep clean and got him to sling some of the yuck out of his ears. I was waiting for my meds when he came back and said they were out of those meds so they are giving him a high dose antibiotic shot that last about 2 weeks. So they gave him the shot and want me to continue his topical meds as well. I have to go back in 2 weeks to have a follow up. They are so wonderful he only charged me $35 for the entire visit. He knows i give them a TON of money and he is always trying to help me. Best Vet EVER!!
WONDERFUL update and WONDERFUL vet. All of them should be like him! *PRAYERS* and best thoughts of wellbeing continuing for Marbles!:vibes::silver:

nado

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i was getting ready for bed and thought I would check in one more time tonight to see if there was an update on Marbles, and boy, there certainly was! Wonderful news to hear that Marbles is getting the treatment he needs.

May Dr. Merker be richly rewarded and blessed for all that he has done for Marbles and all of the other animals he has helped.

And may you be richly rewarded and blessed for all you have done for Marbles, Javannalynn. We all know this has been a long and difficult road you have traveled with Marbles. You deserve the best life has to offer.

May Marbles recover quickly and completely, so that he may enjoy a long, happy life.

This makes me so happy; I know that I'll be sleeping well tonight, knowing Marbles is in such good hands.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm very hopeful we can resolve this. Since Dr. Merker knows exactly what it is. He told me what it was called but i don't remember. Him knowing is the most important. I've hopeful this will be the end of his issue or at least we can find something to help him long term... I'll clean his ears every day if i have to. I thank all of you for your help while i cried through the first few days thinking i was out of options.

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For Inky the dermatologist, vets and insurance vets argued about it. It seemed to be a permanent incurable secondary infection on both of his ears after years of chronic inflammation, theoretically from potential allergies. Cleaning and antibiotic for two to five times weekly helped but nothing really beat the chronic black thick stuff in his ears or his pain. He had to have both his ear canals removed, especially when malignant tumors were also found in both his ears, which are rare. His hearing was decreased already and after the second ear canal removal he became deaf.
However it was amazing to see how much he had been living in pain and how happy and playful he became pretty much immediately after the surgeries. He started playing with a mouse toy that he hadn't played with in years. He played with the other cats, before he just cuddled with them. He became not just affectionate but demanding and slept on my head or against my face with his paw wrapped around my arm and paw in my hand.
It was indescribable to see how happy he was and sad to realize how much pain he must have been living in before. Though he never showed it.
So otitis seemed to have a specific meaning for him and I dealt with it very extensively for two years. He also was diabetic and had other secondary infections including a couple of abscesses and stomatitis.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For Inky the dermatologist, vets and insurance vets argued about it. It seemed to be a permanent incurable secondary infection on both of his ears after years of chronic inflammation, theoretically from potential allergies. Cleaning and antibiotic for two to five times weekly helped but nothing really beat the chronic black thick stuff in his ears or his pain. He had to have both his ear canals removed, especially when malignant tumors were also found in both his ears, which are rare. His hearing was decreased already and after the second ear canal removal he became deaf.
However it was amazing to see how much he had been living in pain and how happy and playful he became pretty much immediately after the surgeries. He started playing with a mouse toy that he hadn't played with in years. He played with the other cats, before he just cuddled with them. He became not just affectionate but demanding and slept on my head or against my face with his paw wrapped around my arm and paw in my hand.
It was indescribable to see how happy he was and sad to realize how much pain he must have been living in before. Though he never showed it.
So otitis seemed to have a specific meaning for him and I dealt with it very extensively for two years. He also was diabetic and had other secondary infections including a couple of abscesses and stomatitis.
Here's a link to a description of otitis in cats (and dogs). Note that it's a symptom of an underlying condition, often an infection, but not a diagnosis in itself -- that's all I'm saying, that it's a general description of inflammation. But maybe it's what vets tell insurance when they're not sure of a specific cause.

Inflammation of the Middle Ear and External Ear Canal in Cats

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a great Vet! I do really hope the long-term antibiotic shot helps him a LOT!!! My cats have had Convenia antibiotic shots and they are supposed to help for 14 days. I have also had episodes where the infection needed yet another follow-up shot of this and then...….victory!!! Sending ALL healing thoughts his way and hoping this is the end of the ear troubles!!! :)