Ear Infection

mmin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cat has been shaking his head alot recently and scratching at his ears so i brought him to the vet. the vet diagnosed him as having a mild ear infection/ start of an infection and sent him back with dermotic ear drops. 2x/day. for 7 days

it's been 3 days but he seems to still be scratching his ears alot and shaking his head now and then. i wonder if this is normal. :/ it's also been quite difficult putting the drops in his ear as he bolts and struggles. in fact, the first night after the vet gave him the first dose of medicine, he shook his head so much. (more than even before we went to the vet) could that be because of the liquid in his ear or?

thank you.

Spka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat has been shaking his head alot recently and scratching at his ears so i brought him to the vet. the vet diagnosed him as having a mild ear infection/ start of an infection and sent him back with dermotic ear drops. 2x/day. for 7 days

it's been 3 days but he seems to still be scratching his ears alot and shaking his head now and then. i wonder if this is normal. :/ it's also been quite difficult putting the drops in his ear as he bolts and struggles. in fact, the first night after the vet gave him the first dose of medicine, he shook his head so much. (more than even before we went to the vet) could that be because of the liquid in his ear or?

thank you.
Did you make sure that the medicine went deep enough in the ear? Because if it didn't....that may be the reason that it didn't work. But anyway, try to call the vet. And yes your cat may be shaking his head because of the liquid in his ear. But I think that he should shake it late after you poured this medicine into his ears.

Spka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you make sure that the medicine went deep enough in the ear? Because if it didn't....that may be the reason that it didn't work. But anyway, try to call the vet. And yes your cat may be shaking his head because of the liquid in his ear. But I think that he should shake it late after you poured this medicine into his ears.
He shouldn't *
sorry

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mmin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Because i was not confident in putting the medicine in, he struggles alot, most of the time for that whole week, i bring him back to the vet for the vet to put it for him. so that shouldn't be the problem. the vet said he looks like he is 90% cleared of the infection already, but i still see him shaking his head? is it something to be worried about? going back for the 2nd review again in a few days. it's also been about 1.5 weeks now..

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you check him for ear mites just to be sure? My totally indoor cat Bourbon got this from who knows where and it is nasty. Her earlier signs were: constant scratching and shaking of head. I hope its not, because if positive for ear mites and not cured immediately you will soon observe loss of fur or balding, especially on that frequently scratched part behind the ears.

mmin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you check him for ear mites just to be sure? My totally indoor cat Bourbon got this from who knows where and it is nasty. Her earlier signs were: constant scratching and shaking of head. I hope its not, because if positive for ear mites and not cured immediately you will soon observe loss of fur or balding, especially on that frequently scratched part behind the ears.
the vet took some of his ear gunk and i believe, observed it under a microscope. and she said it was yeast and some bacteria without mentioning ear mites. he is also on his revolution that supposedly covers for ear mites, so i don't think so? but i really don't know why he's still shaking his head even after like 9 days of treatment with the medicine :(

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he has a yeast infection, I would ask the vet for a different medication as this one obviously isn't working. My kitty used to get a yeast infection in her ears and what I did was have her sedated for a deep ear cleaning to get out the gunk and then the vet put BNT ear ointment in her ears. It's a thick goopy ointment that the vet puts in and then over a 2 week period it is absorbed and kills the infection. This is the only thing that worked for her.

mmin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If he has a yeast infection, I would ask the vet for a different medication as this one obviously isn't working. My kitty used to get a yeast infection in her ears and what I did was have her sedated for a deep ear cleaning to get out the gunk and then the vet put BNT ear ointment in her ears. It's a thick goopy ointment that the vet puts in and then over a 2 week period it is absorbed and kills the infection. This is the only thing that worked for her.
i will be going back to the vet tomorrow for his final review and i will bring it up to the vet regarding him still shaking his head. but also, i just wanted to add- he has started to have skin flakes/ scalp?flakes behind his ears. there's also a little wound which has now dried up (which i've already checked with the vet). just wanted to know if the flakes are just a normal response to his scratching or? thanks

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most likely the flakes are caused by scratching. It could also be dried up ear drops or something like that.

abby-anne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

thank you.
Hi--Sorry, I realize this is a fairly old post, but I was just wondering if you ever found the cause to his head shakes? I am in a similar position now where we just finished a course of antibiotics, ear wash and ear drops, and she is still shaking her head. I was also not sure if it was excess liquid though...
Thanks.