Ear Freckle?

ChemKitty142

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

My 11-month old Seal Point Ragdoll (male) developed a small "freckle" in his left ear in late February. It is completely flat and appears to just be pigment on the skin in his ear. It seems to have gotten a little bit darker and wider in diameter over the last 45 days, but it otherwise is completely unremarkable.

I have seen two previous threads with similar kinds of marks but not a lot of answers. Ideas?
IMG-5233.jpg
IMG-5225.jpg
IMG-5220.jpg
IMG-5219.jpg

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it isn't bothering him I wouldn't worry. It could simply be some color coming in as he ages into adulthood. Their full color can take awhile to develop. When he goes in for his yearly check up I would mention it to the vet but I don't think it warrants any immediate concern. If it changes or seems to bother him then have it looked at sooner but I don't imagine it will.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with jen jen . Cats can, and do, develop these "ear freckles" at most any time of their younger lives. Hekitty developed several when she was around a year old, and she's now twelve. IF the area begins to look inflamed at all, or it thickens, take him in! Otherwise, just bring it to your vet's attention at his annual physical.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChemKitty142

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All,

I wanted to follow up with info I learned at my vet visit today. My vet said that the spot looks to be a bit of pigment (melanin) that migrated out. Given that he's a seal point cat and still only a year old, additional pigment changes are not necessarily abnormal. She did caution that any changes causing the mark to become raised or scabbed would be of concern and should be looked at quickly.

I hope this info helps others who may have a similar question with their feline!