Ear and fur mites.

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have been posting my 2 x 2mth siblings on the the other thread.
Today took them to vet for 1st vaccine jab.
Apparently vet found the male ears crusted and chunks of dirt and confirmed under microscope as ear mite. Has fur mite.
Apparently his sister has as well.
They ar only about 700gms each so vet did not recommend the revolution plus but rather the older revolution version. She applied it on them. And gave them the jabs. She also cleaned the ears.
Vet told us to bath them after 3 days and clean the in another 6 days time. As dailiy cleaning will cause ear infection.
How. Long does revolution take to work?
Also do I need to cleanwash their current bed area?
Suprising the female sneezed at the vet. Could be the air there. Anyway vet prescribed 'Viralys' to be given twice daily but never say till when.
Anyone gave this med before?
Both kitties sleeping very long since back fro. Vet. Could be the jab.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One kitten still feeling lethargic and not eating well. 10hrs since vaccine given. She did not even cover her poop. Is there any concern I should be worried about?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Revolution is safe at 8 weeks and it takes about 36 hours to see the effects. It was given to my GSD as a rescued 8 week old puppy with mange. For that condition it is given more frequently and he did not have any reaction to it. It is quite effective on fleas and ear mites and I think that your vet did use caution to use the older formulation as there have been some complaints about a new ingredient in the newer formula. If you wait three days before bathing, you are well within the safe time frame for Revolution to have begun to work.

Definitely clean the bed and anything else that they laid on like throws or blankets.

Viralys is the brand name for lysine which is used to treat any herpes infection in cats. I have used it with no problems.

How many vaccines were given? If it was only one, that should not be a problem.

For kittens, this is a lot of medicine and they are tired from the trip to the vet and the assimilation of all of this into their systems. However, you are the one who is there with them and if you don't feel comfortable with any symptom, call the vet. Lethargy and a lack of appetite are common after all this, but again, watch them. They have to eat, so if the lack of appetite continues call the vet.

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Brought the kittens to a groomer for deep ear cleaning. Previously vet had tried to clean. Groomers did a deep cleaning but did tell me they cannot clean the ear curve part.
Still kitten scratching the ears, think it's itchy after the wash.. Still find a bit dirty..

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Those ears look very dirty even after having the vet and groomer work on them. Is this the before picture? Even at that, it was a lot of stuff in those little ears. The ears could be irritated after the cleaning and it might be a good idea not to try any further while they settle down.

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After vet, before grooming. Now better