Ear And Fur Mites

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Got my kitty from a home breeder last week.
He's 2mth 2wks and went to vet for his first vaccine.
Sldohsd a check for mites and alas and case of ear mites as previous owner fail to do a proper job.
Aldo he had fur mites. So after his job, vet gave me ear cleaning liquid and Revolution
After flushing the esr, tried removing the gunk that is coming out ut kitty still scratching ear more.
What can I do to improve his condition?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You need to be cleaning your cat's ear daily - not just once. Also, if the ear mites are so severe to have spread all over your cat's body (which is what the 'fur' mites are), it is possible they have caused a secondary infection that will have to be treated separately. Did the vet check for a secondary infection?

Also, you might consider asking the vet if you should bathe your cat to help get rid of the debris and any eggs from the mites.

I think if you take steps to clean your cat's ears for at least a week, and possibly bathe your cat - and make sure there is no secondary infection, you should see improvement over the next week.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vet gave a ear cleaning liquid to use once daily. Also revolution drop used today for treatment of both ear and fur mites. Advised not to shower 2days. Now am monitoring for now..will most prob shower tomorrow late afternoon.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Revolution will kill the mites. Being topical that is a one time treatment, until next month when you give the next dose.

The vet advised YOU not to shower? I don't understand.

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Asked to apply the revolution and to shower 2 days later. Maybe its also due to the 1st vaccine done the same day as well.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Revolution needs some time to work since it is topical. It should take care of things. I thought it was longer than 2 days after applying topicals to bathe a cat but I could be wrong, I never bathed my cats lol.

The vaccine doesn't have to do with anything.

Also have you contacted the breeder to let them know about the bad condition of the kitten? If this is a real serious breeder they would want to know and you can hold them accountable. If it was just a BYB well thats unfortunately what you get lol.

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's just a home breeder.
In the revolution pamphlet, it mentions can shower same dat after couple hrs. I just followed vet advice and bath him today.
Flushing the ears daily and notice that internal is black gunk. I can only remove via cotton ball whatever I can see only..
Any idea how long it takes to clear the ear dirt?
Can't vets remove them manually?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need to careully clean that gunk out. Just as a vet will do, take a tissue over your finger and place a dot of alcohol on it and hold the ear tip up, dive in and swipe the ear out.
Revolution btw is topically applied but actually is absorbed in liver and why it works for a month.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Use the ear cleaner, not rubbing alcohol. The Revolution will kill the mites. The cat can't really get the black gunk out itself so that's why you have to clean them. I like to put a cotton ball in the ear and then apply the ear cleaning solution to it while in the ear and rub the outside of the ear really well so you hear kind of a sloshy sudsy sound. Then remove the cotton balls and wipe them out with dry tissue or cotton. And let the cat shake its head. Do this in a bathroom or laundry room, not on your bed because some gunk and ear cleaner will fly out.

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It been 6days since I used Revolution. Believed mites may be killed in 36hrs. However till now my kitties is scratching his ears. Have used the esr liquid daily once to clean and wiped with cotton wool. But seems no effect. Ears still have black stuff deep within. From our other furry friends out there who may have ear mite issues before, how long does it take to eradicate the problem..?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The mites could very well be gone. Best to have a vet swab the ears and check for them and treat again or with a different product if needed. The dirt could just be that, ear wax, bacteria, etc. Do you stick the cotton ball in the ear and soak it with cleaner and really work up and lather deep in the ears and let the cat shake it out?? Then take a Q tip and get any more debris out of the nooks and crannies in the ear.