E-collar alternative when stitches are on the neck?

Kellynorrrris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey y’all my Pimento had a growth removed off his neck. The stitches are buried beneath the skin. The vet did not send him with an e-collar because it would rest right on top of the stitches. They didn’t mention an alternative, I didn’t think to ask in the moment, and they also made no mention of what to do if he starts licking. My common sense tells me he shouldn’t be. I can’t get him to stop— he’s not necessarily fixated, seems like it’s just part of his post nap grooming, but watching him do it is awful. Does anyone know of an alternative until I can call the vet tomorrow? I tried a t shirt and a towel and he managed his way out of both.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kellynorrrris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And this is what the site looks like Sunday (surgery was Friday). Does this look okay? There is a little blood at the top.
Calling the vet Monday when they open of course.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't think the incision looks bad, tbh. But, a call - and sending a pic - to your vet would be a good idea, instead of relying on my layperson opinion. The blood might be from when he is getting to it to scratch it a bit.

Some of the smaller e-collars might actually fit closer to Pimento's head/ear area and not reach the incision, so you may want to check out different types on the internet to see if you think one of them would work. Have you considered cutting the foot off of a relatively thin type sock and stretching it to the point it can be pulled over his head and still fit loosely but snugly over the incision? It would have to be a sock material that would allow air to flow through.

The other thing is to ask the vet about a topical ointment or cream that could be used on the incision to help stop with the itchiness as it heals.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would a Thundershirt help here?
ThunderShirt for Cats

I think you can get these at the big pet stores like PetCo and PetSmart rather than waiting for shipping from this site.

Kellynorrrris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Would a Thundershirt help here?
ThunderShirt for Cats

I think you can get these at the big pet stores like PetCo and PetSmart rather than waiting for shipping from this site.
Thanks. I did look at those in the store today. I wondered if it’d be too abrasive on the wound. But I suppose having it covered is better than him chewing at it or scratching it!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I did look at those in the store today. I wondered if it’d be too abrasive on the wound. But I suppose having it covered is better than him chewing at it or scratching it!
Wrap the wound first with a pad over the site and a wrap around the pad. Then put the vest on top of that. Better to keep it covered.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would check with your vet about covering it, in case they think that wouldn't allow enough air flow to the incision. And, if you choose to go that route, you probably will need to take it off at least once a day to check the incision and allow the area to 'breathe'.

Kellynorrrris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would check with your vet about covering it, in case they think that wouldn't allow enough air flow to the incision. And, if you choose to go that route, you probably will need to take it off at least once a day to check the incision and allow the area to 'breathe'.
True! And I mean, my vet is really awesome. I’m sure he considered that Pimento might eventually bother the wound, but that covering it or putting a cone on top of it might be worse. I can’t imagine he wouldn’t have thought about the pros and cons and told me what to do accordingly...I’ve basically decided to stay home watching him until I can call tomorrow 😂