E-collar After Spaying

mammameeko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My two year old Lynx-point was spayed last Tuesday morning(5/9), and I was told to leave the e-collar on for 7-10 days. Tomorrow will be a week since she was spayed and we are getting ready to drive across the country and I would hate for her to have to have this e-collar on while we are traveling in the car. Her incision looks the same as it did when we brought her home, not any worse or better. I tried to take the e-collar off yesterday and she went right for the incision. It makes me so nervous, I do not want her to hurt herself or for it to get infected. My husband keeps saying she will be fine because it has been 7 days, but I think I should push it to 10 days or more before I take it off. :dunno: This is my first time with a spayed cat so I am just looking for insight from someone with more experience. Thanks!

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
to TCS!

How does the incision look? If it's completely closed with no inflammation, it would probably be okay to leave the collar off. Our shelter vet doesn't use e-collars at all after spay surgery; I've only seen two cases where cats' incisions have had to be bandaged because they were worrying the incision, and the bandages came off after a week.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, Have you any photo of the cut so that we can give you an idea?
I used the e-collar on a spayed cat only once, because the cat was going to bite the stitches, but she kept the collar on for about 5 days. Ten days seem a long time to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mammameeko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for replying! It does not look inflamed and they said the stitches are on the inside and they used surgical glue on the outside. Ten days seemed like a long time to me too, I guess I was just hoping it would look more healed than it does by now. I really have no idea what to look for either though, so for all I know it looks the way it should at this point lol!

Attachments

Last edited:

mammameeko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So does it look like it would be okay if I took the e-collar off? It's been exactly one week since she was spayed.

mammameeko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took it off and she went right for the incision. She licks at it so rough it makes me nervous. I know she is trying to clean it though.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
The incision looks very normal. I don't see any red puffiness or swollen tissues. Is it warm to the touch there=more warm than normal? If not then I wouldn't worry about it-plus don't forget that it probably itches so she's licking. When are you leaving for the drive? Maybe another day with the collar? My girl hated the collar. it was a BIG nightmare to keep her from licking.

mammameeko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is what it looks like now from her licking it.

Attachments

mammameeko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We start our drive tomorrow morning. She is so mad lol and it's hard for her to eat with it on. I feel so bad I want to take it off but God forbid she rips it open while we are on the move..

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
yep collar back on. Silly cat!! you can get a soft collar or a blowup one. Those are at petsmart I think or petco. one I got at another vets office but I didnt' like the string on the soft one. I was afraid she'd get tangled up. We ended up using yarn to tie it on around her shoulders/hips because she kept backing up out of it.

mammameeko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll have to go and check the other collars out. I have just been taking it off when she eats and staying in the room with her to make sure she just eats and doesn't lick it. I put it back on before I took that pic, So it's staying on. I guess all cats just heal differently and my girl takes forever to heal. Better to be safe than sorry though.