E Collar after PU Surgery

ziggyboii66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hiya! Just curious how long anyone else’s cat spent in an e collar after having PU surgery. Specifically if your kitty had dissolvable stitches. We are at the 5 week mark and our vet advised that he may need the cone until the stitches are at least mostly dissolved. Anyone else gone through this that can share? Thank you!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom asked my question. Does he try to get at the site? If not, you can try taking it off for a little while at a time...but only when you are right there watching every minute! If he tries to go for the surgical site, put the cone back on, and until the stitches are fully dissolved, don't leave him unsupervised without that collar at all. He can do a lot of damage in a hurry if he's determined.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ziggyboii66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is he doing with the collar? Can you give him a couple hours now and then out of the collar?
He tries to get at the site quite a bit, sometimes obsessively so to be safe we keep the collar on at all times. I’d love to give the poor boy a break but have remained strong!