E.Coli UTI diagnosed

SiameseMummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last week my cat went to use the pan, cried out and I noticed blood in her urine. Took her to the vets who took a urine sample and put her on antibiotics and an anti inflammatory.

The results of the culture came back today and she has e.coli in her urine. Its sensitive to the antibiotics she's on but the vet wants to keep her on them for 4 weeks before retesting her urine. This seems crazy long!

Has anyone heard of an antibiotic course lasting this long?

Also, in reading around it seems that a UTI ftom e.coli is rare and usually only occurs in cats with kidney issues or other underlying health issues. She's not diagnosed with anything else and seems totally healthy - should I be concerned or be asking for more tests?

Is there any risk to my other cat?

Any suggestions on how to avoid a recurrence in the future? They are indoor cats only.

Any help appreciated!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Feeby has been diagnosed - more than once - with a UTI caused by E.coli in her bladder in the past couple of years. She typically runs a course of 10-14 days of antibiotics, and for her Orbax seems to be the most effective. There is nothing in her health check ups that suggests any specific cause of it. But, rather for Feeby (15+ yo), the vet thinks it was started by her not cleaning herself as well as she used to - allowing for fecal bacteria to enter her urinary tract. I have started a 'booty duty' regimen for her to help her keep herself clean, and - knock on wood - she has not yet had another recurrence.

The vet also said it is hard to entirely eradicate E.coli from the bladder, so recurrences can happen. I haven't started it yet, but I did buy D-Mannose for Feeby - it helps to clear the bladder lining of E. coli.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SiameseMummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks FeebysOwner FeebysOwner ! It's good to hear three isn't always underlying issues, that makes me feel a bit better.

We've had a bit of a tumultuous 4 months and the vet suggests stress may have triggered it. She dies sometimes have a dirty bottom. - maybe I also need to get on booty duty! That will go down well :lol:.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with everything that FeebysOwner FeebysOwner is saying. Stella is diabetic and mildly neuropathetic and until we reconfigured her bedding area was apparently soiling herself sufficiently, without the ability to clean, and having recurrent UTI's which showed the presence of E.coli. I now keep those pee pads on top of her beds and when I see anything on them whisk them away and change them. I do give her regular rear end baths. Stella is not up to a big fight and is a sweet girl despite not liking it, so I just put her on the side of the sink with her rear in the sink and go from there. D Mannose can also be a big help with controlling UTI's but it will not cure one that is full blown.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
D-Mannose is good at targeting e. coli, especially in the urinary tract. You can also try cornsilk to help with inflamation. For stress, try running Feliway diffusers in your home.