Dyson V6 animal cordless vacuum

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been thinking about getting one of these. Anyone have one?? What do you think of it? I am so sick to death of corded vacuums.

The reviews on Amazon are pretty good. I added it to my wish list in case the Easter bunny is paying attention. Oh- never mind. I AM the Easter bunny in our house. 

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know, I kinda gave up on Dyson, i have had three now and will not buy another.They all have great suction, no denying that, but so does a new cheaper one, and this last Dyson, the one I have now, I absolutely hate that I have to lay it on the floor or walk somewhere to prop it up because it doesn't stand up by itself. I was amazed how many times I needed it to stand for a minute while vacuuming. In my search for a vacuum that actually works at getting cat hair up, I would rather buy several cheap ones and get a new one every once in a while than spending a lot on a Dyson, or Kirby, or any of those other ones that cost so much. The brushes wear out and it costs so much to replace them on those brands, anything over a hundred dollars is more then I want to pay to get them back to normal. I have a Bissell Poweredge hard floor vacuum right now that looks a little strange with it's two 'feet' coming out at angles, it is only 49.00 dollars and one of the best vacuums I have ever used.You can't use it on carpet though, and need another vacuum for that. It 'funnels' the dirt and hair to the center and sucks hair up from a foot away and even from around the back of things on the floor. The suction is incredible. I noticed one day it was getting a little slower in picking things up, it needed it's filters beat outside, easy to do and back to full power. Of course you have to do that with any vacuum when you notice a loss of suction power. I highly recommend that one, but I have mostly hard wood and tile floors in my house.This one has a cord though, and it does need to be longer, but at least it stands up!  My luck with cordless hasn't been good, the batteries go bad, and they always seem to run low on power when I need them the most. I would like to know of a good one in those with someone who has actually owned and used one. I hope this helps, good luck and post us when you find a good one!   

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We just bought a Dyson Animal ball last year (on Black Friday). Our old one still works and works quite well actually, so we're using it in the basement. The Dyson is the only vacuum I've ever had that does a great job on cat litter and on cat fur. It took me a while to get used to using it with the ball, but now that I've got the hang of it, I like it.

IMO, the bad thing about Dyson is that the hoses do not last. Our old Dyson is on its third hose now, I believe; Rick just put a new one on it last spring. Still, I guess when you consider that that Dyson is well over ten years old now, maybe that's not too bad. But even the hoses aren't cheap. Accessories, in general, are not cheap for the Dyson. 

A few years ago, we bought a Windtunnel; it was horrible. Oh, it worked for a while, a couple months maybe and it picked up. But then it basically began to just scatter the cat litter about on the floor. I'd go over the couch several times and then would end up picking up cat hair with my fingers and feeding it into the vacuum. Rick took the entire vacuum apart, thinking that maybe there was a filter that needed cleaning or something that had gotten stuck somewhere. Nope, nothing. The retractable hose got to the point where it didn't want to retract anymore. The only good thing I can say about it is that it had a light...I really liked being able to use that light. It's in the basement and we're either going to junk it or sell it at a yard sale. I hate it. It might be three years old....maybe.

I would like to have a cordless vacuum, if for nothing else, than to clean up minor stuff. If I'm baking and spill some flour on the floor, for example, or spill some cat litter when I'm changing out litter boxes. Things like that. Sometimes it would be nice just to be able to grab something easy and clean up a spill, instead of dragging the Dyson out of the closet, plugging it in, etc..

Good luck with finding something that you really like! And yes, let us know what you get and how you like it.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Oh I use a brush and dustpan!
 But I really prefer the vacuum. 

I also have a small brush and dustpan that I use strictly on the kitchen table for when I bake cookies and get crumbs all over the table from the cookies cooling on wire racks. It is used only on the table and on the kitchen counters, never any place else.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I broke my wrist I could not manage our canister vacuum cleaner so I always used a broom & dustpan. I've never used the vacuum cleaner since & prefer the broom & dustpan now.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
If you have upholstered furniture and drapes, how do you clean them? I use my vacuum cleaner for all the stuff. I even vacuum the kitty couch in the bedroom with the vacuum cleaner. And their cat trees (they're carpeted).

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kat, 

I have a Dyson V8 that will have to be pried from my cold dead hand.  It does an amazing job in my house, especially with the window treatments, and I'm super picky.  Even so, my Roomba 960 is the star of the cleaning show.  If you have cats and/or dogs in your house there's absolutely NOTHING like the Roomba.  Yes, it is absurdly expensive but it's incredibly well made and does what it's purported to do . . . so if I have to skip a meal or two to stave off the cat fur tumbleweeds scuttering across my floor I'm totally down with that..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Kat, 

I have a Dyson V8 that will have to be pried from my cold dead hand.  It does an amazing job in my house, especially with the window treatments, and I'm super picky.  Even so, my Roomba 960 is the star of the cleaning show.  If you have cats and/or dogs in your house there's absolutely NOTHING like the Roomba.  Yes, it is absurdly expensive but it's incredibly well made and does what it's purported to do . . . so if I have to skip a meal or two to stave off the cat fur tumbleweeds scuttering across my floor I'm totally down with that..
I hadn't thought of the Roomba. Thanks. I will look into that one. I still have my Shark navigator for the cat trees, AC vents, etc.

I can see my Sophie hitching a ride on a Roomba. She is not bothered one bit by the vacuum. All the other furkids scatter to the 4 winds when it comes out but not her.  She's quite curious about it. A built in cat toy!

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first Roomba I bought from I Robot's website but the second one I bought from QVC.  They offered no interest payments over four months!  Tell Sophie to break out her bikini and shades--she's gonna' be surfin' soon!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I can't give enough praise for the Dyson.  Ours is well over 10 yrs. old and still going strong.  That includes not only the cat(s) but a long coated german shepherd who is now at the bridge.  We originally bought it for all the dog fur and it's held up extremely well. 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Roomba is cool but WHY are all of theirs round? How could it possibly get corners or against walls? I'm also looking at this one

and this one

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have upholstered furniture and drapes, how do you clean them? I use my vacuum cleaner for all the stuff. I even vacuum the kitty couch in the bedroom with the vacuum cleaner. And their cat trees (they're carpeted).
Good question. We have no cat trees. They can look out of the windows in other ways. Looby Loo especially loves the basement windows. We have no carpet in the house - area rugs only on hardwood floors. There is no floor in the house that cannot be broom-swept. We have no upholstered furniture. We do not even own a sofa. I am fanatical about only having area rugs, drapes & sheers that can be washed. I honestly think this is one reason we are both healthy. Many people have their drapes up for decades that cannot be washed & that accumulate all kinds of crud on them. Ditto carpet.

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

<snip>

IMO, the bad thing about Dyson is that the hoses do not last. Our old Dyson is on its third hose now, I believe; Rick just put a new one on it last spring. Still, I guess when you consider that that Dyson is well over ten years old now, maybe that's not too bad. But even the hoses aren't cheap. Accessories, in general, are not cheap for the Dyson. 

<snip>
I've had exactly the same experience.  After the 3rd hose on my dyson developed a leak, I gave up on them.  The design puts a lot of stress on the hose where it meets the floor attachment.  Since the hose isn't reinforced at this point, they tend to wear out.  All three of my hoses failed at the same place.  Dyson replaced the first two hoses for free, but refused to replace the third.  I've now switched to a Miele.  It works well and is amazingly quiet.  I can even vacuum near the kitties without disturbing them - at least most of the time. 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Oh I use a brush and dustpan!
 But I really prefer the vacuum. 

I also have a small brush and dustpan that I use strictly on the kitchen table for when I bake cookies and get crumbs all over the table from the cookies cooling on wire racks. It is used only on the table and on the kitchen counters, never any place else.
The brush and dustpan for the table is a great idea. I no longer own a kitchen table. It's the cat feeding station.

If I put their dishes on the floor, they'd all starve to death because the dog would inhale their food before they realized it was there. They are always spilling food on the table which, of course, hardens during the day while I am at work.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

I've had exactly the same experience.  After the 3rd hose on my dyson developed a leak, I gave up on them.  The design puts a lot of stress on the hose where it meets the floor attachment.  Since the hose isn't reinforced at this point, they tend to wear out.  All three of my hoses failed at the same place.  Dyson replaced the first two hoses for free, but refused to replace the third.  I've now switched to a Miele.  It works well and is amazingly quiet.  I can even vacuum near the kitties without disturbing them - at least most of the time. 
In our case, the hoses crack at the top, where the hose begins. Huge holes that we always try to duct tape shut. All of them split right at the very top.

I will say that I think the Dyson is loud. Scares the cats; they don't like the vacuum at all.

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

In our case, the hoses crack at the top, where the hose begins. Huge holes that we always try to duct tape shut. All of them split right at the very top.

I will say that I think the Dyson is loud. Scares the cats; they don't like the vacuum at all.
Yup, that's where mine have all failed.  I meant the top of the house that attaches the accessory floor attachment to the retractable wand. And yes, they are LOUD.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yup, that's where mine have all failed.  I meant the top of the house that attaches the accessory floor attachment to the retractable wand. And yes, they are LOUD.
Unless I am missing something, I don't think the cordless one comes with any hoses. I watched the video on the Amazon page and there were no hoses used during the demo. I have an upright Shark Navigator. If I find a good cordless or an alternative, DD will inherit that one when she leaves the nest. It works great. I just cannot stand the cord anymore.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't think it would have any kind of hose....I think it's more like a "stick". If you do get one please do a review. We are very curious.