Dying for Dexter

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So, I have been a big fan of the TV show Dexter for a while now and just had a marathon book-fest where I read all six of the Dexter books by Jeff Lindsey in less than a week (yes, speed reading is my hidden talent). Anyone out there love the show? Love the books? Like one and not the other? 

Anyone even know what I am talking about? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hahaha exactly! That is the genius of the show and why I love it so much! 

Are you watching the final season? More importantly, have you read the books? 

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! That's the final season? :bawling:
Ohhhhh! I am going to miss Dexter SOOOOOO Much! Oh NO! Don't tell me he is going to die or be caught :thud:
Of course I am watching :clap:
No, I haven't read the books - wasn't aware of them, but now I am going to :bigthumb:

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes it's 4 episodes into the final season. I can't even begin to imagine how they are going to end it. I swear I'm not going to have any fingernails left! 

So I keep asking about the books because since the series is based on them I assumed they were the same and I wanted to get more detail. Nope. They are COMPLETELY different. Well, the first book and the first season follow a similar story line but after that they are nowhere near the same. Not even a little bit. No Bay Harbor Butcher. No Miguel Prado. No Trinity. No Jordan Chase... Nothing, Nada, Zip. So, it was like getting 6 extra seasons! I warn you that the second book was almost a little too gory but it was worth it just to get to 4 and 5 which were amazing. And, the 7th book comes out in September. I'm super curious if it's the last book or if he will keep going. 

Regardless, once the show is over I can at least survive knowing I will get one more dose in book form! Start reading so we can talk about them!!! 

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I've read the first four books of the series. Interestingly, I saw the first season of the series (co-worker loaned me his DVDs), fell in love with that and headed over to the library to check out the books. You're right. While the episodes are loosely based on the books, the key word is loosely. That doesn't mean the books are not a good read because they certainly are great. Both the TV show and the books are excellent.

We don't watch the series on HBO, but when my co-worker gets each season's DVD set, he always loans them to us. And we devour them; we usually take a weekend and watch every show.

I'm truly going to miss Dexter after this season....outstanding show.

In the beginning, it was hard for me to see Michael C Hall as Dexter because Rick and I had watched the entire series of Six Feet Under, so I was used to seeing him as David Fisher. I got over that quickly, though, as we continued to watch that first season of Dexter.

Last edited:

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've read the first four books of the series. Interestingly, I saw the first season of the series (co-worker loaned me his DVDs), fell in love with that and headed over to the library to check out the books. You're right. While the episodes are loosely based on the books, the key word is loosely. That doesn't mean the books are not a good read because they certainly are great. Both the TV show and the books are excellent.
I agree that I liked the books just as much as the show. I think it just took me longer to get into them because I was expecting them to be the same. Usually I like to read the books first but in this case I'm glad I saw the show first because then I could visualize each of the characters while I read. 

I will say this for them being so different: usually when a book and show/movie are the same I end up loving one and hating the other. Shows and movies end up cutting out some of the best stuff from the books! But, because the story lines are different there was really nothing to compare. It really was like getting 6 extra seasons! 

You have to read book 5- it was hands down my favorite and lots of twists and turns that I never saw coming!
We don't watch the series on HBO, but when my co-worker gets each season's DVD set, he always loans them to us. And we devour them; we usually take a weekend and watch every show.
So I didn't get into the show until the 7th season was out- meaning I watched the first six seasons back to back. You are right about devouring them! Sometimes it's way more fun to watch a show that way as opposed to waiting for a new episode every week. 
I've never watched it.  I'll look for it in reruns or get it by torrents.

Oh you should! Especially since you can just marathon the seasons (and believe me, once you start you will forget every other aspect of your life except watching Dexter). The premise makes it sound awful which is why I never watched it, but so many people raved about it that I finally gave in. Now it's by far one of my favorite shows of all time! 

It is so wrong that we all love a serial killer, but is it made even worse by the fact that I think he's so hot? 

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So this is too funny not to share....

My first year of college I lived in a super small town. One of my favorite stores used to carry these bizarre action figures that I thought were the most hilarious things in the world. In addition to my Vincent Van Gogh (complete with interchangeable heads: pre and post ear chopping of course) and my Di Vinci action figure I have the amazing Nancy Pearl action figure Librarian (with realistic "sssshhh" button action)! I have kept them with me all these years and always laugh when I see Nancy Pearl on my bookshelf. 

Flash forward to today when I got a late birthday present in the mail from my Brother. You guessed it- it's a Dexter action figure for my collection! I literally almost peed my pants when I saw it. He came  dressed in his killing clothes and brandishing a knife. But Dexter wouldn't be complete without, you guessed it, a blood slide AND a trash bag! 

After opening my new treasure I had to think long and hard about where to display him. And then it occurred to me. My Mom is the one who turned me onto the show, and we even had an inside joke called the "Dexter Dance." Anytime Dexter would be on TV we would erupt in a silly dance that was so much fun anytime anything good happened one of us would proclaim it was Dexter Dance worthy and bust a move. So, the only logical place to put Dexter was right next to her mini urn. 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wacky way to remember your mother, but I also think she is laughing along with you.

I have the complete first season on DVD, but can't bring myself to watch them. When I lived in Gainesville, FL, there was a serial killer that was living in a barn about 50 feet from my trailer. Nobody knew he was living there, until they caught him trying to get into an apartment across the street.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After opening my new treasure I had to think long and hard about where to display him. And then it occurred to me. My Mom is the one who turned me onto the show, and we even had an inside joke called the "Dexter Dance." Anytime Dexter would be on TV we would erupt in a silly dance that was so much fun anytime anything good happened one of us would proclaim it was Dexter Dance worthy and bust a move. So, the only logical place to put Dexter was right next to her mini urn. 

OMG! To
much! I  Have not read any of the books but I absolutely love the show! My favorite seasons were with John Lithgow "Trinity", who is an amazing actor and he played such a twisted serial killing family man. I was actually not to upset when Dexter's wife was killed, she annoyed me any way
. Then the season with Julia Stiles, loved the story line, loved her innocent yet vengeful beauty who Dexter totally falls for but she walks away after her mission is complete leaving him along with his secret. Last season was definitely crazy, and Deb is 'mother trucking' out of her mind now. She doesn't freak out and use ridiculous curse words! Once again they make Dexter look like the better man, it took 3 episodes into this season for him to complete one of his ritualistic cleansing.

Do you know the movie Fargo? Years ago a friend had gotten me the collectors addition back when it was VHF, and it came with a snow globe that had the seen of the guy pushing body parts into the wood chipper. When you shook the globe red and white snow would float around!

Last edited:

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Haha yes it is. But, it's totally in line with her sense of humor. She's watching me with a big smile right now! 

I can't even begin to understand how terrifying it would be to know that someone so heinous lived so close. But, I would still urge you to watch the show. While Dexter is a serial killer he only kills other killers (it's part of his "code"). So, he doesn't kill anyone who is "innocent" but is more a Batman vigilante- trying to clean up what the justice system left behind. 

Again it's morbid but most of my professional life has been working with murderers. Certainly none of them would fall into the category of a serial killer and they were all juveniles at the time of the crime,  but I suppose I am somewhat desensitized to it. 

So, if you can, you should really give it a try, especially since you already have the first season. The killing part is just one aspect of the show. The rest is all about watching how he tries to fit in and battling this question of whether he has feelings and a conscience. It's actually very deep and very psychological. 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I watched about half of the first episode, then went back to my Dreamworks Animation collection. The Dexter set was sent to me by my friend in Florida.