Dulse Powder As An Alternative To Lite Salt?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know of a source and a quantity of dulse powder to use in place of Lite Salt? I’m trying to get closer to the Rad Cat recipe and to see if Krista prefers the dulse.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can provide me with the nutrient content of the dulse product you want to use I can tell you how much to use to get the equivalent amount of iodine provided by Morton's Lite salt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven’t been to the raw coop yet for the dulse flakes. I did find Kelp capsules. See attachments. Could I use these instead and how many mcg of iodine per lbs of meat? I’m not making more than 1 lbs batches until I land on one that is both complete and Krista-approved.

Attachments

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!

You need about about 77 mcg I per lb of meat and organs. That product has 300 mcg per capsule so you would need about 1/4 of a capsule per lb of meat and organs. 1/4 of a capsule will be hard to do. I would err on the side of too little rather than too much.

Hope that helps!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is very helpful. Thanks!

I weigh almost everything because the recipes don’t easily divide into 1 lbs increments. That’s a shame because I can get novel meats in 1 lbs freezer packs. And I don’t wish to commit 5 lbs to a recipe Krista may reject.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!

You need about about 77 mcg I per lb of meat and organs. That product has 300 mcg per capsule so you would need about 1/4 of a capsule per lb of meat and organs. 1/4 of a capsule will be hard to do. I would err on the side of too little rather than too much.

Hope that helps!
I'm bringing this thread back to life because I'll be trying to add the Kelp to the next batch. This capsule weighs nothing so my scale isn't helpful here (unless I got a more sensitive scale.) But I measured it out to roughly 3 pinches or 3/16 tsp. 1/4 of that would be 1.5/32 or 1.5 smidgens. Half-smidgen! :dunno: That's a spoon I don't have. I guess I can eyeball it. Otherwise, 1 smidgen is 50 mcg. Is that too little?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd go for 100 mcg. The AAFCO recently increased the recommended minimum for iodine. If/when you want to scale your recipes to larger than 1 lb let me know though. You probably don't want to just scale up from 100 mcg for larger batches.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd go for 100 mcg. The AAFCO recently increased the recommended minimum for iodine. If/when you want to scale your recipes to larger than 1 lb let me know though. You probably don't want to just scale up from 100 mcg for larger batches.
One pinch it is! Thanks again!