DSH - mackerel tabby - and gender????

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Trying to label posters for this cat as close as I can to what would best describe it - I am saying mackerel tabby because although her legs are striped her body isn't and almost has a bullseye on her side. Also, haven't been able to get pic of her booty but best described as 'o' (anus) and below 'I' (vagina). I can't see how this could be a male. See pics - and let me know. Thanks!!

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd call her classic tabby, with the bullseye. Mackerel tabbies are stripey.

I'd say she likely is female. . .her face and body shape seem feminine. But if you're not sure, just say "chubby tabby cat" or something like that.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree, she hasnt very typical bullseye, but she is a classic tabby. If you call her for a marbled tabby, you wont need to hesitate.

Yet a marbled tabby is just another way to call a classic tabby...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has she gone astray? Is she used to roam for herself, or is she strictly indoors?
If she is strictly indoors, the chances are she is somewhere nearby, taking cover.

If you have some of her used litter, put a little outside, so she will have easier to orient herself back home.

FeebysOwner FeebysOwner

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the other posters, this kitty is a brown classic tabby, not a mackerel tabby. She has typical bullseye shaped markings on her sides. Random bred cats aren't specifically bred for a clear tabby pattern and often the pattern is somewhat difficult to see. She may also be a torbie, which can obscure the pattern somewhat; it's difficult to tell from these pictures.

In some parts of the world this pattern is called "blotched." In the US, the term "marbled" is generally reserved for Bengals that do not have a typical bullseye pattern.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has she gone astray? Is she used to roam for herself, or is she strictly indoors?
If she is strictly indoors, the chances are she is somewhere nearby, taking cover. If you have some of her used litter, put a little outside, so she will have easier to orient herself back home.
She is clearly lost and once I helped/acknowledged her she didn't want to leave. She is now in my spare bedroom without access to the outdoors. I don't think she has ever been on her own (she is front-paw declawed, and the back claws were immaculately trimmed). She is 'clean as a whistle' otherwise. I so believe she was purposely dumped here. No posts in the neighborhood, or on any social media has prompted any inquiries.