Dry Spraying???

sierra_k

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a dumb question. Joey is a 3 year old neutered tabby. Lately I have noticed him "spraying", but nothing comes out. Nothing has really changed in the household that would make hime feel stressed, and I'm happy that he's not urinating outside the litter box. Should I take him to the vet? He seems very healthy--good appetite, drinks water, uses the litter box and that all looks normal, plays.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Sierra

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By spraying do you mean he's waving his tail rapidly? Some cats do this to say they're happy. Looks just like they might be spraying. I know my youngest male cat does it when he's happy and I'm always checking behind him!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had a feral this summer that vibrated his tail like nuts at dinner time - always a happy thing! I can see how it would look like a kitty spraying. You sure he's not just vibrating his tail because he's happy or excited as others have pointed out?

Laurie

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had boys and girls in the past who've backed up and "sprayed", I always saw it as a happy behaviour.

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Elijah does this. He backs up to a kitchen cabinet and 'sprays' the door, but nothing comes out. He only does this at meal time when I am fixing his food. For him, it seems to be a happy, anticipation behavior.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stanley always has a happy "shakey tail" when he is waiting for me to put the food dish down...definately happy in his case

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, my Scotty does that, too. Freaky at first, but now I'm used ot it, LOL. You get nervous when the back end of a cat is pointed in your direction

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats also does that just when I'm about to put his food dish down.

He is a breeding male but doesn't spray at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sierra_k

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all of your replies! Yes, he shakes or vibrates his tail rapidly while backing up to something. Usually it's the kitchen cabinets or my dresser, but he has done it in other areas too. It does freak me out cuz hubby would have a FIT if he was actually peeing!! It does seem to be when he is happy or wanting attention.
I feel better knowing that this is fairly normal, so I'll try not to make a big deal of it.
Thank you so much for assuring me that your kitties do this too! They are all so different!!

girlsetsfiyah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's a funny thing, isn't it?

Our Fatty does this ALL the time....especially when he's happy. Spliff has never done it that I've seen.

But I figure, as long as nothing's comming out, he can do it all he wants!