Dry Scaly Skin

cattlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my first time caring for a kitten. I found this kitten 3 days ago and clearly you can see a bald spot on the top of her head. Also, she has 2 scaly spots, behind the neck, and the left arm.

I think this is a classic case of ringworm but I have no idea what it really is and what to do with it. My house is far from vet care and medicine. Any help?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Although I have read a lot about ringworm on this site, I am - thankfully - not personally familiar with it. If you do have a vet - despite their distance away from you - can you send a pic via email to them and ask for their opinion and recommendations for treatment? It maybe that they could advise you about the use of some OTC topicals you could start with.

Until members with first hand experience come along to offer their input, perhaps the information in this article would be helpful to you.
https://www.thesprucepets.com/ringworm-in-cats-4175211

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are several OTC (over the counter) medications that are safe for cats. I googled "OTC ringworm medications for cats" and came up with some easily found stuff. Now, one thing I'd recommend doing is getting a black light, and looking at the areas under it. The fungus that causes ringworm will fluoresce (glow). If you don't see a glow, it is NOT ringworm.

This is my google search page, so you can read about what is out there:
OTC medication for ringworm in cats - Bing

Also, here are a couple of our articles on controlling it:

Ringworm In Cats: How To Win The Fight
Ringworm Infestation In Cats: The Housecleaning Regime