Dry Potpourri

mybabies59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
can the smell or a cat playing or licking it cause a cat breathing problems . What can cause a cat to act like he is going to vomit but then sounds like he's coughing ?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It depends on what is actually in the potpourri, but MOST of them are not good for cats to be in direct contact with. If you are going to have potpourri, I'd go with a container that has a decorative pierced top. The smell gets out, but the cat can't get in direct contact with the contents.

Now, what you are describing your cat doing is a textbook description of a cat coughing up a hairball. And it can take several tries over a period of time for them to actually get it up. Contrary to what it SOUNDS like, it does not look like a ball of fur, but rather like a piece of wet, fuzzy poop.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Potpourri is not good for cats. Usually it is made up of flowers, buds, hard stuff. Not only is the potpourri irritating to the throat and stomach, you do not know what type, if any essential oils are distributed in the potpourri.

The behavior you described is either your baby trying to vomit it up, or dealing with an irritation.

I would just watch her, and keep the potpourri out of her reach. Or best yet, get rid of it.

Mamany had a great suggestion, get a small tight fitted or weighted screen, to use a covering for the bowl....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mybabies59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I know what a fur all s. Potpourri is gone.

mybabies59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Was he coughing before he had access to the potpourri? If the coughing/hacking began after he was licking the potpourri, you may have an emergency problem.

If your cat has hairballs and/or this cough frequently or earlier today, the cough is less likely to be of concern.

Does your potpourri has relatively large, stiff pieces in the mixture? A lot of the mixtures I have seen have pieces that were stiff and 1/2" -1" in size. If your cat was licking the mixture, he could possibly have ingested a piece that he is now trying to cough up.

Some cats will eat unusual things to help them vomit a hairball. Mine will eat small pieces of leaves that come in from the yard on our shoes. The cats get to the leaves before we pick them up.
These leaves are small, thin and soft pieces, and my cats have never exhibited unusual behavior afterwards.

With potpourri, the pieces can be stiff and many mixtures also use essential oils, and these can be toxic to cats.

I hate to send anyone to the ER for a non-issue. Does anyone else have a different perspective? @Columbine
It was a session that lasted once for a minute then 2 times 30 seconds if that. He's eating fine etc. So was wondering but it's gone.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Likely a non-issue. I edited out most of the post as I was writing at the same time as others.

mybabies59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Likely a non-issue. I edited out most of the post as I was writing at the same time as others.
I lost my bengal a couple of years ago and I worry...thank u so muvh

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Worrying too much happens to all of us.

I joined the site just as my 12 yo Kiki left me in January.

There are many understanding and experienced members who are also worried cat moms and dads

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I lost my bengal a couple of years ago and I worry...thank u so muvh
Sorry if we came across as harsh, but we are so worried, and love our babies..

Glad you got rid of the stuff.. I have removed and denied access to so many things because of my guy.. it is a live and learn situation..we love our babies so much...

((hugs))

mybabies59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank u everybody

mybabies59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Worrying too much happens to all of us.

I joined the site just as my 12 yo Kiki left me in January.

There are many understanding and experienced members who are also worried cat moms and dads
Sorry for your loss. My baby means the world to me. Lost my bengal at the age of 7.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is no such thing as worrying too much...or if there is, it is FAR better than not worrying enough. And NEVER EVER be afraid to ask here. That's why this site is so wonderful. We support and advise each other.