Dry food

katocats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, can anyone tell me how long you can leave dry cat food out for before you bin it.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't want to leave it out for longer than a day. Even if you're free feeding, it's a good idea to measure out the daily ration instead of just pouring into the bowl - it cuts down on wastage and helps to prevent overfeeding.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not to mention that cat saliva will get all over the food and bowl and bacteria will eventally start growing. Eating bacteria coated food may result in an upset tummy. So measure out your cat's food  and throw away anything left at the end of the day and wash the bowl out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katocats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies
  we have been binning what's not been eaten the next day and washing out the bowls .I  just wondered how long you could leave it out for.

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Kato & welcome from Scotland.!!

I agree with all the members who replied to you.Is there any way you can feed canned as any canned food is better than the best brand of of dryfood out there.Also grazing as we'll call it it so hard on the pancreas making insulin for multiple bites her e& there.Schedules feedings like 3 x per day & coming home to an empty bowl IMO is way more healthy.Pls read if you have time.www.catinfo.org Alot of illnesses do form from lack of fluids.Even if your kitty drinks tons of water.Hugs C.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katocats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi mom of Maxwell 
 we do feed our two moggies wet food the dry stuff is just to graze on throughout the day if they get the munches   Drinks wise Ziggy is a tap (faucet) drinker Komere from the water bowl.