Dry food suggestion?

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried searching the site and reading some articles, but didn't really find what I was looking for.
Feeding a rough looking feral... what type of affordable dry food should I be feeding him/her? Any specific suggestions?
Would a senior cat or kitten food be better, since it has more nutrients in it? Why or why not?
Thanks for any input!

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have done so much reading on the web and this site about food, and talked to two different vets and what I learned is - EVERYONE has a different opinion. I wanted to do what was best for my kitties, but no one seemed to agree what that was. Finally I read where someone on here, I forget who, had written "the best cat food is the one your cat will actually eat" :)
Anyhow, one of the vets we saw recommended Iams (in the orange bag) just regular dry Iams cat food. I gave it a try and my Tessa loves it. I have a friend who has six cats and she feeds them Purina Cat Chow.
Thank you for helping this kitty!

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For dry food, I feed my cats Purina One Indoor Advantage. It’s reasonably priced, readily available, decent enough ingredients (in my opinion), and my cats like it. I don’t worry too much about finding the most perfect dry food because my cats eat a majority of wet food anyway. Can you supplement the dry with some wet food for your feral? The higher protein and moisture would be very beneficial for him.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed mine iams sensitive stomach because they tend to puke up most other dry food. But I do feed mine a 90% wet diet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions for the feral!

Kristin_Happy Texan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wonder about this, too. It does seem no one can seem to agree. I makes me feel like I'm just running in circles.

All I do know is that this Mom Cat and her kittens will eat anything. (I feed them wet and dry food). They aren't picky eaters. Whatever I give them, they'll eat. My only problem is the Mom cat also loves the kitten kibble, and I've even seen the kittens eating her dry food a few times. (Which I really wish they wouldn't do).

jmichaelp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since kitten food has a higher protein content, would this be better food for a feral colony?