Dry food recommendations?

Kat.

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sure there's been many topics like this before but I'm having a hard time deciding on dry food for my cats.

I have two boys (ages 2 and 3), I used to feed them Acana Wild Prairie, they liked it well enough. Then one of them had urinary issues so I had to give him special food (I did Royal Canin SO and Specific Crystal Management, he got horrible diarrhea from Hill's). Got all clear from the vet today so we're going back on regular diet, no more urinary health food for now!

I was wondering what a good dry food would be? I'm thinking to go back to Acana, it's not too expensive and from what I read seems to be pretty good. Other brands available in my country: Royal Canin, BritCare, Carnilove, Taste of the Wild, Josera, Purina, Applaws, Nutrivet, Orijen. I want to get them something good but also not crazy expensive.

I do feed them some wet good too but I usually give different brands so they wouldn't get too bored. However I don't change their dry food often so I want to pick a good one.

Thank you!

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dry food is rather unhealthy and completely NOT essential for cats. If you can switch to several brands of wet rather than any dry whatsoever that's your best bet in terms of healthy cats.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
feeding dry food to the cat with the history of urinary issues may cause these issues to come back, if I were you I'd consider feeding all canned/homemade. I'm surprised your vet didn't recommend it.
Edited: however if you insist on feeding dry, the best European (I'm guessing you're in EU) dry imo is German brand Power of Nature. But again, I'll avoid dry at all cost in your situation.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have yet to find a dry food that Theo will eat. He is on a raw beef diet and also gets some can food & pate. I leave dry for him for if he wants something when his wet is gone. It takes forever to use a bag of dry. Sounds like he knows better than me! LOL Wet is good especially if it is a neutered male to prevent blocking. So, I am in no way complaining.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kat.

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, guys! I have read that wet food is healthier but that seems like it would end up being very expensive, and one of my cats refuses wet food, even getting him to eat a little bit is difficult. Surprisingly though, vet never recommended this to me, in fact all vets I ever spoken to are surprised by how much wet food I feed them (not the overall quantity, I don't overfeed my cats but the wet-dry food ratio, if that makes sense).

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, guys! I have read that wet food is healthier but that seems like it would end up being very expensive, and one of my cats refuses wet food, even getting him to eat a little bit is difficult. Surprisingly though, vet never recommended this to me, in fact all vets I ever spoken to are surprised by how much wet food I feed them (not the overall quantity, I don't overfeed my cats but the wet-dry food ratio, if that makes sense).
Most vets aren't versed in feline nutrition, just like a regular old doctor doesn't know the ins and outs of nutrition; different fields. Typically they just wanna force overpriced low quality vet kibble lol