Dry food recommendations needed

catamarandy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. My two cats are fed a combination of wet and dry food. I feed them wet food each morning and evening and they are free fed a small amount of dry during the day. The dry food I'm feeding is TikiCat Born Carnivore. Even though it's supposed to be one of the better dry food choices, they are losing interest in it, plus, the last bag I got has what appears to be little feathers in the kibble visibly sticking out! I contacted the company and they sent a replacement bag, but even that has the same issue. Not at all happy about that!
Does anyone have recommendations for a good dry catfood to replace the TikiCat? I can't afford anything extremely pricey, as the TikiCat was stretching my budget, so basically anything around $40 or less for a large bag would work. I've been using the Catfood DB, but I would like to know what others are actually feeding their little loves. I've been tossing around the idea of trying Blue Buffalo Blue Wilderness Chicken recipe (grain free) and would also be open to trying something that is good from Purina. It must be grain free, too.
Thank you in advance ☺

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein food -- chicken -- has no fillers. We use it as a topper and small snack. I don't know how the price compares but suspect it's probably pretty calorie dense since the carbs are so low. (I've never seen any feathers!)

Zylalove18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im on a budget and my cat loves meow mix grain free chicken. I fed her cat chow, friskies and regular meow mix in the past. I heard Rachel ray grain free is a good brand but I haven’t tried it. I just bought pure balance, not sure she likes it though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catamarandy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein food -- chicken -- has no fillers. We use it as a topper and small snack. I don't know how the price compares but suspect it's probably pretty calorie dense since the carbs are so low. (I've never seen any feathers!)
Thanks for the suggestion. Glad you've never found any feathers!!

catamarandy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im on a budget and my cat loves meow mix grain free chicken. I fed her cat chow, friskies and regular meow mix in the past. I heard Rachel ray grain free is a good brand but I haven’t tried it. I just bought pure balance, not sure she likes it though.
Thank you. I'll check into those :)

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure of its price where you live but my cat has been on Acana Wild Prairie for couple years as her dry food. She has sensitive digestion and it works well for her. It is an expensive cat food BUT, don't forget to calculate the cost keeping calories in mind. Like I feed the resident garden cats with Purina One Adult Chicken. They are fine with it but Purina One is quite lower in calories so while it's still cheaper than Acana Wild Prairie, it's not as cheap as it appears at first.

I will also second mixing different cat foods. That's what I do with garden's cats too. Their portion is like 3/4 Purina One, 1/4 Acana.

I like Purina too. I found it better than both Royal Canin and Hill's. Especially Purina One and Pro Plan.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding Delilah Crave Indoor Dry but they also have a plain chicken variety. I get her a 2 pound bag (fits in my canister, easy for my weak arms to carry) for about $6.99 and since I also give her wet it lasts about a month.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed mine Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach, with turkey and oatmeal. Check out the ingredients and calories. A 5.5lb bag is $20, I believe.

catamarandy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure of its price where you live but my cat has been on Acana Wild Prairie for couple years as her dry food. She has sensitive digestion and it works well for her. It is an expensive cat food BUT, don't forget to calculate the cost keeping calories in mind. Like I feed the resident garden cats with Purina One Adult Chicken. They are fine with it but Purina One is quite lower in calories so while it's still cheaper than Acana Wild Prairie, it's not as cheap as it appears at first.

I will also second mixing different cat foods. That's what I do with garden's cats too. Their portion is like 3/4 Purina One, 1/4 Acana.

I like Purina too. I found it better than both Royal Canin and Hill's. Especially Purina One and Pro Plan.
Thank you. I may try mixing two catfoods together.

catamarandy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding Delilah Crave Indoor Dry but they also have a plain chicken variety. I get her a 2 pound bag (fits in my canister, easy for my weak arms to carry) for about $6.99 and since I also give her wet it lasts about a month.
Thanks for the reply. Ive never used any Crave products befofe but will check it out.

catamarandy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed mine Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach, with turkey and oatmeal. Check out the ingredients and calories. A 5.5lb bag is $20, I believe.
I'll definitely check into the Pro Plan line, my one baby is sensitive to too much fish, so the turkey and oatmeal sounds good!

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In terms of ingredients, purity is the best I found in my country. But minish is not very enthusiastic about it. Farmina N&D is similar to acana, not bad and minish goes crazy for it.

catamarandy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In terms of ingredients, purity is the best I found in my country. But minish is not very enthusiastic about it. Farmina N&D is similar to acana, not bad and minish goes crazy for it.
Thanks! It's so frustrating when we like the food ingredients then our cat doesn't lol