Dry food options kidney disease

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats was diagnosed with kidney disease last fall. She was initially placed on Science Diet canned and dry kidney diet foods. Since then I've tried a lot of other things, all prescription foods purchased from the vet. At the moment she's mostly eating Royal Canin canned food (two varieties), occasionally a prescription kidney diet canned food from Purina, and every now and then I try her on one of the cans of SD I still have left (the smaller cans, chicken or tuna with vegetables), which sometimes she likes. The problem I'm having is more with the dry food. She had been on Royal Canin's formula for several months and liked it fine. However, she has gradually lost interest in it and now barely eats any. I just ordered a bag of the SD dry food again (chicken formula; the older bag I hadn't used in a while and is probably stale was fish flavor) to see if she'd be interested in that after a break of eating the other brand. So far not looking good! Since cats are nibblers who like to snack off and on all day, I hate for her to go hungry between feedings of the canned food in the morning and evening. Maybe she's nibbling a few pieces of the dried food, but certainly not much. I have some "authorized" treats, but I don't want to give her very many of those during the day. Are there any other brands of dried food for kidney disease, for example Purina? She's eating the canned foods fairly well, so the problem doesn't seem to be lack of appetite overall, just not a whole lot of enthusiasm for the dried foods.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat was on Hill's Prescription cd for crystals. Stopped liking it. Then rc SO, stopped liking it, finally she eats purina pro plan UR canned and so far likes it. I mix in some earthborn chicken. Adds flavor and it's shredded meat. Sometimes have to add freeze dried chicken for toppers