Dry food only, suggestions?

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
The Orijin change is new, they used to be a very well regarded food )and their Canadian plants probably still make that same excellent food), but they opened a new plant in the us, and the food out of it is of a much lower quality (maybe lesser ingredients in an attempt to recoup the plant costs, who knows). Sadly, in the petfood industry, change (unless it is just a new addition to their existing list, and even then, usually)  is almost always bad.

kingtubbythecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued a 30 lb cat and researched the best way to get a cat down to a decent weight, so have done a lot of research on wet foods (low carb is the way to go for weight reduction). 

You want to look for something that's ideally not fish based (bad mercury issues=cancer etc.), as high in protein as possible and low in carbs. Low in potassium if your cat is elderly (to avoid renal disease), and, of course, low in calories if your cat is fat. 

I copied a table (I can't remember the source... sorry, source!) and formatted it in Google sheets--here's the link. Hope you can sort: right now it is sorted by 1) highest protein; 2) lowest carbs; and 3) lowest potassium (but with no filters for max carbs/potassium, etc.), or eliminating fish entirely, which is why you see Tiki brands at the top (really high protein/low carb, but high potassium). I'm sure it has a lot of outdated brand info in it, but still could be a resource.

Hope you can sort/filter :). I ended up with Friskies Supreme Supper (? think that's what it was called), but ended up switching to the Mixed Grill when that was d/c'd. This was based on his particular needs, the fact that he strongly preferred pate (as opposed to something chunky), and that I am totally broke. 

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I rescued a 30 lb cat and researched the best way to get a cat down to a decent weight, so have done a lot of research on wet foods (low carb is the way to go for weight reduction). 

You want to look for something that's ideally not fish based (bad mercury issues=cancer etc.), as high in protein as possible and low in carbs. Low in potassium if your cat is elderly (to avoid renal disease), and, of course, low in calories if your cat is fat. 

I copied a table (I can't remember the source... sorry, source!) and formatted it in Google sheets--here's the link. Hope you can sort: right now it is sorted by 1) highest protein; 2) lowest carbs; and 3) lowest potassium (but with no filters for max carbs/potassium, etc.), or eliminating fish entirely, which is why you see Tiki brands at the top (really high protein/low carb, but high potassium). I'm sure it has a lot of outdated brand info in it, but still could be a resource.

Hope you can sort/filter :). I ended up with Friskies Supreme Supper (? think that's what it was called), but ended up switching to the Mixed Grill when that was d/c'd. This was based on his particular needs, the fact that he strongly preferred pate (as opposed to something chunky), and that I am totally broke. 
The cat in question is still growing in which case weight loss would be a problem. Growing cats need extra calories to sustain their growth and development. If you start a weight loss program now the poor cat will be malnourished and be stunted.

I'd stay away from friskies though. The food has ingredients sourced in China where there is no regulations.

joe kleon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats LOVE Pure Vita dry food.  I don't understand the negativity about Orijen.  I buy the small bags and feed it as treats.  The ingredients appear great and my cats go crazy for it.  

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise

My cats LOVE Pure Vita dry food.  I don't understand the negativity about Orijen.  I buy the small bags and feed it as treats.  The ingredients appear great and my cats go crazy for it.  
Orijin used to be excellent food that most cats liked, but the stuff from the new US plant not only costs more per pound, but it is much lower quality, and has a lot of reports of cats hating it (mine wont' eat it, certainly), and even of some of the food having bad batches.  Given the high prices, it just doesn't make much sense to use the new junk, IMO.

The lsited ingredients are still pretty good ( though not as good as the old formulas), so there is that.

llsrvd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The fact that potato flakes/starch are listed as the second ingredients on the last 2 might make me stay way from those.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I thought dry food needed a starch to hold it together. Maybe I'm wrong though.
You're right. It's virtually impossible to make a dry food without starch from somewhere (grains/pototoes/pulses/veggies). The only truly low starch dry foods are freeze dried.