Dry Food Only - Is That Ok?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I have one cat that loves wet food, and not a fan of dry. My other cat is the opposite, she goes crazy for dry, but meh over wet (she has a serious addiction to dry food)

I mostly give wet food, but give high quality grain free dry about 2 times a week to change it up to keep them both happy. I feel wet food is better for their health and fur over all.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't feel bad, hon. We all only want the best for our fur babies. It's just that different cats have different needs, and we all have different experiences. :)

We used to trust our vets wholeheartedly, because after all, they were supposed to be the experts re: pet care. Then we lost three cats in fairly quick succession after following their advice, because at the time, we didn't realize we had other options. I am profoundly grateful to all of the awesome members of this community who have shared their experiences. I may wind up doing exactly what an expert such as a vet recommends, but at least now I can explore some other options before I make a decision. :wink:

Wishing you the best of luck!

grammom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Clementon NJ.....about 12 miles from Philadelphia.
After my Lucky (already was his name when I rescued him at about a year old) had a terrible constipation problem and was very sick for awhile. He stayed at the vet hospital for 2 nights. I came to this forum. I now feed 2 cans of Fancy Feast in the AM and one can in the PM, each with 1/4 tsp of Miralax. He is 12 years old and now has his health and energy back. No more dry food for him....even though he used to love it. Also, now he seems to get enough fluids; before the vet told me he was also a bit dehydrated, too. To each his own - but I think that feeding only dry food might cause issues.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
I think that most of us just enjoy a nice, civilized debate, and all of us hold good intentions, so no worries, just be aware that we do hold different opinions.

I, for example tend to be of the opinion that high quality dry food is an excellent choice for cats who don't have hydration issues (and plenty of cats don't), and that it gets a bad rap in general. I think both dry and wet food have their advantages (and that price and convenience aren't the only advantage of dry food), and that which is better for you and your cat isn't as simple as "wet is better." A number of others are very concerned about the hydration aspects of wet food, and strongly advocate it. I think both groups generally want the best for their and other people's cats.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My big boy was on partial dry and wet but he started getting frequent urination issues. He didnt have an infection or crystals. Once i took him off of dry completely his problem disappeared immediately!

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
My big boy was on partial dry and wet but he started getting frequent urination issues. He didnt have an infection or crystals. Once i took him off of dry completely his problem disappeared immediately!
I'm glad that wet food helped your cat. Cats with urinary or kidney issues often do better with wet food.