Dry Food on a Budget

timmytime

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I have 7 cats, and have fallen on hard times - currently jobless and on disability pension. I've been feeding the kitties Purina One Indoor Cat food, but am wondering if there is a healthier alternative that costs less than $30 a bag. Note: one of my cats is allergic to President's Choice food, so I can't buy that. I am in the process of rehoming 1 of my cats - my cousin who is a huge cat lover, has agreed to take one of mine, and can give her a better home right now than I can. I'm looking into rehoming another of them, too, but I won't rehome until I've found a great home for that one. Anywho, long story short, I had -$3 in my bank account until today. Now I have exactly $20 to buy a bag of food to last until I get my disability cheque on Thursday.

Suggestions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

timmytime

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I should also mention I am in Ontario, Canada, and prices are bloody expensive here, compared to the U.S.!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Purina ONE is ok. That's what I use. I don't think you'll find anything better for less. If the Purina ONE is too much this month, try Purina Cat Chow Naturals. In the US it's just under $20 for an 18-pound bag (about $15 for a 13-pound bag, which should get you through the month).
CAT CHOW Naturals Original Dry Cat Food, 18-lb bag - Chewy.com

I will recommend to get the original versions, not indoor or other variety. It's usually higher-quality for the price and might cost a dollar or two less.

lizzieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Regardless of quality of cat food, a full belly is better than nothing. If you have to switch your cats to the cheapest food you can find for a month or two there is no shame in that. I have had times in college where I was surviving off soup, KD, hotdogs and oatmeal!

A lot of city's will have programs to help people feed their pets in time of need. You could call your local humane society to ask if they know of any such programs and that could help get you through. You could also post on kijiji reaching out to your community to see if anyone is able to spare a bag or two of cat food. I think you'd be surprised how many people would help, especially this time of year!

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m also in Canada (SK) and I agree, cat food prices here are wildly expensive compared to what our American friends have to deal with! I agree with the above recommendation that some places have damaged or discontinued bags of food for cheap- I’ve even seen sale racks with such food at Petsmart and Pet Planet before. I would also like to recommend a free app called Flipp - it’s typically used for grocery shopping, but it’s got a really great search feature where you could search “cat food” and see if any nearby stores have cat food on sale in their flyers. Sometimes cat food can be cheap in unexpected places- I’ve had luck at London Drugs before, of all places!
Wishing you and your kitties the best of luck.