Dry Food Gives Kitten Congestion

Ero

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didn't know this at first, as I feed him wet food mostly, but sometimes I give him dry food as a treat/snack when I train him.
I saw that his poop was so tiny and black, so I stopped giving him dry food and only wet food, and it went away.
I tried two different kinds of dry food, still happens.
I feel like this is a waste of money cause I have two big packs of dry food and even tho he likes em, it gives him congestion.
I stopped giving him it as a treat, but I cant find any treats for kittens, all of them are for cats. :/ (by treats I mean frozen/dried chicken/duck and stuff like that)

Grape

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you mean constipation? If you repost your question you might get more responses? All I can guess is that your cat isn’t drinking enough water or has a hard time digesting something in the dry food? As far as the cat treats, I’m pretty sure that cat treats are okay for kittens.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can add water to the dry food. Or give some dry food and some wet food the same day but add extra water to the wet food (if he doesn't like the dry food when it's wetter.)

As for treat, there doesn't need to be a special treat for kittens. Usually the only difference with kitten food is they are higher in calorie and some are softer to make chewing easier. There are some with higher calcium levels but it's not a must. How old is he though? If he's too small I wouldn't recommend any treats. Adult treats or kitten treats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ero

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you mean constipation? If you repost your question you might get more responses? All I can guess is that your cat isn’t drinking enough water or has a hard time digesting something in the dry food? As far as the cat treats, I’m pretty sure that cat treats are okay for kittens.
Bingo, I mean constipation. I said congestion cause every time I googled it it said it, so I wasn't 100% sure what to call it.

You can add water to the dry food. Or give some dry food and some wet food the same day but add extra water to the wet food (if he doesn't like the dry food when it's wetter.)

As for treat, there doesn't need to be a special treat for kittens. Usually the only difference with kitten food is they are higher in calorie and some are softer to make chewing easier. There are some with higher calcium levels but it's not a must. How old is he though? If he's too small I wouldn't recommend any treats. Adult treats or kitten treats.
Mixing water with it doesn't help either. Also, he completes exactly 9 weeks tomorrow.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mixing water with it doesn't help either. Also, he completes exactly 9 weeks tomorrow.
I'm definitely not the most informed user about feeding such small kittens around here but personally I wouldn't do much if any food change with a kitten so small and continue with wet food. For treats maybe only give tiny pieces of boiled chicken.

I don't know what dry food you have but Royal Canin has one for kittens 1-4 months, this: Mother & Babycat Dry Cat Food - Royal Canin

A lot of kitten food out there are advertised for 4 months old kittens or older so maybe the ones you have are not suitable.