Dry Food For Sensitive Stomach?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pay $24 for a larger bag of high protein. The problem is its not for sensitive stomach
The trick to finding food for a cat with digestive issues is to figure out what ingredient (singular or plural) is causing the problem. As EmersonandEvie EmersonandEvie mentions, it's often fillers that cats are sensitive to. Foods with potato that are labeled "sensitive stomach" really get me crazy because one of our cats is sensitive to potato! Potato isn't a supercommon sensitivity but others on the site have reported that their cats also can't eat it.

Cats' sensitivities can be a very individual thing, making them difficult to diagnose, which is why the best approach for many cats -- including ours -- is to feed the simplest possible recipes, without vegetable-based carbs (particularly potatoes, peas, and even grains that are often included to boost protein numbers), and seek out foods that are as meaty, animal-based, as possible. Cats are carnivores so they're built to eat and digest meat, not potatoes and peas. If fillers aren't the problem, there are other approaches to figuring out which proteins are causing the problem but just getting rid of carby ingredients works for a lot of cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I called the vet and they ordered this..Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Hydrolyzed Protein HP Dry Cat Food. I thought it was going to give something like the gastro intestinal food. I just read it says it temporary. I guessing thats what he meant by using it as a test. Dr was in surgeries and the lady at the front didnt say anything. They gave me a 7.7 pound bag for one cat. How do i use this food? looks like there isnt a meat in it.

They only gave a bag of dry. He gets wet food twice a day alos. Is that going to be a problem using it with this?

Last edited:

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The trick to finding food for a cat with digestive issues is to figure out what ingredient (singular or plural) is causing the problem. As EmersonandEvie EmersonandEvie mentions, it's often fillers that cats are sensitive to. Foods with potato that are labeled "sensitive stomach" really get me crazy because one of our cats is sensitive to potato! Potato isn't a supercommon sensitivity but others on the site have reported that their cats also can't eat it.

Cats' sensitivities can be a very individual thing, making them difficult to diagnose, which is why the best approach for many cats -- including ours -- is to feed the simplest possible recipes, without vegetable-based carbs (particularly potatoes, peas, and even grains that are often included to boost protein numbers), and seek out foods that are as meaty, animal-based, as possible. Cats are carnivores so they're built to eat and digest meat, not potatoes and peas. If fillers aren't the problem, there are other approaches to figuring out which proteins are causing the problem but just getting rid of carby ingredients works for a lot of cats.
That’s why the Dr Elsey’s won’t say for senative tummies. But it’s known to be good for that. I give it to my IBD cats.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also protein and fat are much for satiating than carbs, which means that cats often eat less of the food that a carb laden kibble. So Elsey's seems "outrageous" but depending on how you're feeding it, it's actually pretty economical.

A 4 lb bag of Instinct LID Rabbit would last me the same as 7 lbs of the Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach.

Regardless, M momof3b1g have you asked your vet if he wants you to just feed the dry or if it's okay to continue with the wet you're feeding?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also protein and fat are much for satiating than carbs, which means that cats often eat less of the food that a carb laden kibble. So Elsey's seems "outrageous" but depending on how you're feeding it, it's actually pretty economical.

A 4 lb bag of Instinct LID Rabbit would last me the same as 7 lbs of the Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach.

Regardless, M momof3b1g have you asked your vet if he wants you to just feed the dry or if it's okay to continue with the wet you're feeding?
Still waiting on a call back

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Vet tech called and will have vet call me. He said they came in wet food. But I guess he was mistaken. I hate changing him onto all dry diet. Just when I got him eating wet twice a day.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
One more tidbit and then I'll stop:

The RC Hydrolized food is $7/lb and has 328cal/cup. It is full of nothing but fillers and carbs. Like you said, where is the meat?
Dr. Elsey's (Regular price, currently on sale for $5/lb) is $7/lb and has 554 cal/cup. Most of its calories come from animal protein and fat, and it has less than 4% carbs.

I have a friend with a small (8lbs) cat who eats 1/3 cup of Dr. Elsey's A DAY. Not per meal. For one whole day.

You can do what you wish, but I would strongly urge you to contact Dr. Elsey's for a free sample and ask your vet about transitioning.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One more tidbit and then I'll stop:

The RC Hydrolized food is $7/lb and has 328cal/cup. It is full of nothing but fillers and carbs. Like you said, where is the meat?
Dr. Elsey's (Regular price, currently on sale for $5/lb) is $7/lb and has 554 cal/cup. Most of its calories come from animal protein and fat, and it has less than 4% carbs.

I have a friend with a small (8lbs) cat who eats 1/3 cup of Dr. Elsey's A DAY. Not per meal. For one whole day.

You can do what you wish, but I would strongly urge you to contact Dr. Elsey's for a free sample and ask your vet about transitioning.
I did more reading and it's supposed to be to normalize their system. Then you test single foods to see what's causing it.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I did more reading and it's supposed to be to normalize their system. Then you test single foods to see what's causing it.
Like a factory reset for cats? That's kind of neat.
How are you going to approach the single food trials? What does the vet want you to feed?

*kara*

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a kitty with a sensitive tummy too. She is prone to unhappy poops with "super premium" kibble like Orijen etc. Royal Canin Sensitive Digestion had an immediately positive effect for her. Price is moderate too.

Kburns

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven been feeding my cat "Blue Buffalo Sensitive Stomach" dry food and have noticed a big difference. Her stools are more firm and less smelly (yay). However, it is a bit on the expensive side. Overall, well worth it though.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coming from the left field, have you taken your cat to the vet? For years I thought my cat had tummy troubles, he was allergic to all poultry.

I fed him Taste of the Wild (with trout & salmon because the pure salmon was to rich for them.)

However if your cat is allergy free and healthy..... I would try the Dr esty food if you can afford it.

:goodluck:

kitty kisser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has had a sensitive stomach for years she is 6 yrs old . I was feeding Blue Buffalo sensitive in the pink bag plus she gets her canned indoor friskies for breakfast. Honestly I live in a small town and grabbed some Purina One sensitive at Walmart last time I bought cat food and amazingly the vomiting I was encountering on a weekly basis has stopped!

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has had a sensitive stomach for years she is 6 yrs old . I was feeding Blue Buffalo sensitive in the pink bag plus she gets her canned indoor friskies for breakfast. Honestly I live in a small town and grabbed some Purina One sensitive at Walmart last time I bought cat food and amazingly the vomiting I was encountering on a weekly basis has stopped!
So what was the critical difference? Which ingredients in the old food(s) are not present in the new food?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Coming from the left field, have you taken your cat to the vet? For years I thought my cat had tummy troubles, he was allergic to all poultry.

I fed him Taste of the Wild (with trout & salmon because the pure salmon was to rich for them.)

However if your cat is allergy free and healthy..... I would try the Dr esty food if you can afford it.

:goodluck:
Yes the vet has him on the hydrolyed diet. I have tried sensitive formulas from the store in the past and he still throws up. I am still wondering of it's a sensitive stomach issue if he throws it up within 20 minutes. Some rich canned foods he throws up before leaving his plate.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is, indeed, the tricky part, since any food (particularly dry food) can have multiple ingredients that can cause problems.

And ha ha, I like the idea of "factory reset"! :D
That's the thing. I think they are starting with the protein I guess. Sadly he threw up tonight. Has been on the RC 100% since Tuesday