Dry Food For Sensitive Stomach?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:crossfingers:I hope your cat feels better soon and that you solve the mystery.
:vibes::grouphug:
If my cat was throwing up every day (even on the special hydrolized food) I would make him home made food for a week or two (beef), and see if it stops. Then once I got him balanced out I would try very little of one brand of dry food recommended by the vet.

They have recipes on the website on how to make homemade cat food. My bud was allergic to _all_ poultry. Turns out chicken is one of the top allergies for cat. If he is allergic to chicken I would recomend taste of the Wild canyon river recipe (trout & salmon.) It wasn't to rich/worked like sensitive stomach food for my one cat and was chicken free for my other cat.

I thought my bud was getting fat but he had really been allergic. Causing him to over groom out the fur on his belly. Plus his lip swelled up later (since I missed the thinning fur sign.) I thought he had a sensitive stomach that caused him to throw up every week or two. Nope it was the chicken.

Lastly has the vet cleared him that he isn't throwing up for something besides IBS or allergies? An inflamed pancreas or something making him nauseous comes to mind. :goodluck:

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
:crossfingers:I hope your cat feels better soon and that you solve the mystery.
:vibes::grouphug:
If my cat was throwing up every day (even on the special hydrolized food) I would make him home made food for a week or two (beef), and see if it stops. Then once I got him balanced out I would try very little of one brand of dry food recommended by the vet.

They have recipes on the website on how to make homemade cat food. My bud was allergic to _all_ poultry. Turns out chicken is one of the top allergies for cat. If he is allergic to chicken I would recomend taste of the Wild canyon river recipe (trout & salmon.) It wasn't to rich/worked like sensitive stomach food for my one cat and was chicken free for my other cat.

I thought my bud was getting fat but he had really been allergic. Causing him to over groom out the fur on his belly. Plus his lip swelled up later (since I missed the thinning fur sign.) I thought he had a sensitive stomach that caused him to throw up every week or two. Nope it was the chicken.

Lastly has the vet cleared him that he isn't throwing up for something besides IBS or allergies? An inflamed pancreas or something making him nauseous comes to mind. :goodluck:
Ya his vomiting is sporadic. Been a issue for about 4 years. He can go days or even weeks without throwing up. Throw up twice a day or multiple times a week. Did your cat throw up right after eating?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm saying I think you should talk to his vet and try to get to the root cause of his vomiting. What if is a inner ear infection or swollen pancreas or allergies or cancer that is causing the vomiting? I think finding and treating the root cause will also help you find the right food for him. I felt so guilty that for five years my cat was having allergy issues and my response was to put him on a sensitive stomach food that helped limit his vomiting but never solved the root cause.
:goodluck:
Adding water would change the texture ....... I don't think it would change the food.
:hangin:
You will find the right food/treatment for him eventually.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm saying I think you should talk to his vet and try to get to the root cause of his vomiting. What if is a inner ear infection or swollen pancreas or allergies or cancer that is causing the vomiting? I think finding and treating the root cause will also help you find the right food for him. I felt so guilty that for five years my cat was having allergy issues and my response was to put him on a sensitive stomach food that helped limit his vomiting but never solved the root cause.
:goodluck:
Adding water would change the texture ....... I don't think it would change the food.
:hangin:
You will find the right food/treatment for him eventually.
That's what we are doing. He just started last week with the hydrolyzed protein diet. Today was the first day he threw it up. I already planned to call tomorrow to see how long to keep feeding if he still throws up this food.
He started this to see if it's the meat protein or allergy causing it.
What was your cat allergic to?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's the thing. I think they are starting with the protein I guess. Sadly he threw up tonight. Has been on the RC 100% since Tuesday
Ugh! I have to wonder about the soy in that food -- I think this is the one you're feeding, right? -- soy just isn't a cat's natural diet so a cat with a sensitive digestive system (for whatever reason: allergies/sensitivities/IBD) might be particularly unlikely to take to it.

danteshuman danteshuman raises some good points, both about other potential causes of the vomiting and the "novel protein" approach. Sometimes introducing a plain meat protein that the cat hasn't tried before can work. (Or at least help!) Rabbit and venison seem to be popular ones to try.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ugh! I have to wonder about the soy in that food -- I think this is the one you're feeding, right? -- soy just isn't a cat's natural diet so a cat with a sensitive digestive system (for whatever reason: allergies/sensitivities/IBD) might be particularly unlikely to take to it.

danteshuman danteshuman raises some good points, both about other potential causes of the vomiting and the "novel protein" approach. Sometimes introducing a plain meat protein that the cat hasn't tried before can work. (Or at least help!) Rabbit and venison seem to be popular ones to try.
I've tried that. It makes him puke.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Vet finally called back today and said next step is testing. Blood and I dont remember the name. But the one with xrays watching to see a pill go through his system. Check for blockages etc.
I trusted him but wish we had started there before spending $60 on a bag of food. I'm hoping I can return it. I think RC has a refund policy.
He has been on the hydrolyzed food for 1 week today and thrown up once. Will give it a bit more time and then take him for some tests.
I contacted dr elsey for samples.

*kara*

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Totally understand your frustration but a $60 bag of food is the lowest cost starting point. Testing is going to add up quickly.

Hopefully the vet finds something that is easy to treat ❤