Dry Food for Kitten

ClumsyBear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm currently feeding Iams ProActive Health Kitten Food. This is the food he was eating before I adopted him. As I'm approaching the end of the bag, I'm trying to find a new dry food for him because:
1) the 2nd ingredient is a "by-product" and 3rd is corn, which I read is not the best.

I'm thinking about Acana First Feast Kitten or Tiki Cat Born Carnivor for Kittens. But, there's a lot of options and I'm not an expert in cat nutrition! So, I would really love to hear some advice, recommendations or hear what you're feeding/fed your kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ClumsyBear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another reason I'm considering switching is that Iams Kitten is not easily found in my area, and I don't want to rely on deliveries.
I don't hate it, but not being able to access it easily is definitely a big factor.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think either of the ones you're looking at are ok, but you should do the transition slowly, which means you need enough of the old food to slowly mix in the new food until you can make sure there won't be any digestive issues. If you don't have enough for that, then you may need to buy another small bag of the Proactive to do this. Usually you start with 90% of the old food and 10% of the new food for a few days and if there are no issues, then go 75% old, 25% new. No issues, then 50/50 for a few more days. And continue in that vein until full transitioned. If you run into digestive issues, back up a step and stay there for a few more days and try it again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ClumsyBear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think either of the ones you're looking at are ok, but you should do the transition slowly, which means you need enough of the old food to slowly mix in the new food until you can make sure there won't be any digestive issues.
Yes, for sure! I still have a good amount of the old one left, but to make sure I had enough, I decided to stop overthinking it, and just got him the Acana one. I will follow your recommendation on the ratios, thank you