Dry cat food warning!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gusmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Today gus gets his stitches out! Yay! He is this close to being free and his old self again.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to read that Gus continues to do well. Good luck with the stitches removal at the vet's today! ..

gusmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gus ishome, stitches out, all is well. We couldn't be happier! Thank you all for the good thoughts and support!:rbheart::clap:

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad Gus made it through ok, and try not to torment yourself. We can only act based on the best information we have, and unfortunately, even a lot of vets don't tell us -- or even necessarily know -- how stressful an all kibble diet can be on a cat's system.

You know now, and you can use the information you have to make an improvement. That's all we can ask of ourselves.

My dad didn't know with his elder kitty, and she wound up with kidney problems. He learned because of her issues, and passed that on to me. My elder kitty ate all wet food and never had these issues. Pia eats wet and raw (she sometimes decides she won't eat one or the other -- whatever, as long as it's got water in it!).

Unfortunately the industry just doesn't hold pet food manufacturers to very high standards, so we (and our pets) wind up being the genuine pigs.

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

They don't live very long though, I read somewhere 4~5 yrs on average, often much less

Our cats spend a lot of time outdoors, I'm not expecting them to get to 18~20, but, they 'do thier thing' and are pretty happy to 'visit ' (although Kat-Kat did dissapear for 6 days earlier this year - came back looking fit and 'talking' to us)
Yeah, but there's a million reasons for that. Fighting, predation, no vet care, parasites... we can eliminate all of those, including the potential issues with raw food, like parasites. There's no reason they have to die of that stuff when feeding raw.

And our kitties have the same lack of thirst drive that their feral counterparts and wild cousins have.

gusmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gus Now eats only wet...and i add just a little water every time...a tip i learned here.....he loves it, thank god. Yeah vets need to be more proactive about all this....and now i tell everyone. Simply because, if we can spare them, why wouldn't we? Gus's coat looks better, he seems slimmer, eyes bright...just never ever feeding kibble again. My vet actually gave me a bag of kibble for cats with kidney issues! I was shocked, and said no thank you. She said it might help transition him...i get that but still he liked the wet. I now look for low carb, high protein...man oh man those labels are printed in really small print! I am just happy to know now. Although, i do wonder, what else don't i know? I mean i can't ask or learn if i haven't a clue...and that makes me paranoid. I remember saying to myself, weeks ago...i hope i am not hurting my dogs as well! And if the vets aren't saying...who knows. Very scary for pet owners. I have a water fountain for them, toliet seats always open and chemical free...two daily changed water bowls, glass....oh, and for collared cats, i found one of those small mason jars, wide ones worked really well, in that gus could not knock it over with collar. Also, i fed him on a saucer turned upside down raised on a towel, he still shoveled the food about some but could manage to get at it with e collar on. But now he is well. And hydrated. And i will never ever feed any cat kibble again. To me it looks like pain in crunchy form. This was gus's first incident. He is 9. So i am hopeful he will now live long and pain free. Peace to all.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel so bad every time I see people checking out at the pet store or grocery store, purchasing kibble. I've tried to say something a few times, but it seems comments about feeding pets are not welcome.

newkittyowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel so bad every time I see people checking out at the pet store or grocery store, purchasing kibble. I've tried to say something a few times, but it seems comments about feeding pets are not welcome.
I feel bad too but unfortunately I feed kibbles too! I get it from pet store but its still sad. Only do feed my two dry still because I am trying to get them to eat more wet not because of lack of knowledge of how bad dry food is for them. I didn't know that right away though and would have started sooner. They always have got wet but when switching to adult wet they have become so picky that its hard to get more wet. They eat some but no enough to get rid of dry.
I am happy your kitty is on the mend and am sorry you have gone through this !

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

And why is it that these same people, when you mention feeding wet food, say "yeah but that's too much trouble" then they talk about the possibility of having children?  If feeding cats canned food is "a lot of trouble", just wait until you have kids!

autumnrose74

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Heh... my mother went to PetCo. with me last weekend, when I was picking out more food for my Shelly, who only gets wet food. Mom had cats when she was a kid, but that was 60+ years ago. It was fun explaining to her how to read a cat food label, especially when I was pointing out all the fillers and grains in Science Diet, and why that food is bad news in general. Too bad we were the only people in the food section at the time. :D

Very lucrative shopping trip. I found out my kitty likes PureBites treats, and Wellness chicken flavor canned food. I've only had her 2 months, so the Food Experiment (to see what she will eat beyond Fancy Feast) continues.

luvmymickey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had PU surgery in Jan 2014 . He is on wet food now i to am guilty of dry food only because my vet put him on royal canin so.. because of  on going  stones and crystals...   this is why he needed  PU surgery ...After his surgery the surgeon told me to take him off the prescription diet. it is poor quality ....his liver showed poor signs of  diet ..and to put him on a good urinary wet food diet..My question is why does he still need to be on a good urinary wet food diet.When he had the PU surgery .cant he have a high quality wet food.there are so many very good quality wet foods out there . i have been feeding him friskies special diet.and i am not to sure about that wet food...

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would feed more wet food if companies would make it so my cats would eat it. I hate that it takes twice as much calories as dry. So for cats that dont eat alot. Dont get the required calories. Its more expensive amd the cheaper brands have questionable ingredients.