Drowning Toys In Water Bowl

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this is some weird instinct or just Marx' tick, but he loves to drop his toys into the water bowl... Or really anything (like plastic wrap he finds or other small objects he can carry in his mouth). Every one of his toys has been baptized so far. What's up with that?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tashanasha Tashanasha - I just assumed it was Moo Shu; she's the first one I ever saw do this - to a RealSqueak Mouse which required an emergency Squeakectomy once it dried out. Now Oz and White Tip do it as well. Does Marx have a SmartPhone? Maybe Moo Shu is making this go viral.
:flail:

He's probably using my laptop while I'm asleep. I guess I should be happy that he cannot carry my phone... For now.

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You guys are lucky. I occasionally find a toy in the litter box.

One day I was sifting out some poo, and thought "Why is this poo jingling?!" Sure enough, little plastic ball with a bell in the middle, buried right in the litter.

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Usually after my cat catches the fuzzy lure on her fishing pole toy, she won't let it go, so I let her drag it around for a while and she'll eventually "bury" it. She used to be content with hiding it in my shoe, or bringing it back to me and meowing to continue play.

Today, I saw her lurking near the water bowl with her toy in her mouth. I was like "millie noooo" and she looked me right in the eye and dropped it in.

Of course, since I immediately got up to fish it out, I inadvertently rewarded her so she'll try it again for sure. And because I'm petty, I made sure to splash water all over her as I fished it out of the bowl. She's an emotionally resilient cat, though, so she didn't even flinch.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Selene has started doing this too. Interestingly, she's only drowning catnip toys. It's like she's trying to infuse the water :flail:

nese

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ours also do it. Sometimes I find a toy in the food bowl. :lol:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It's pretty normal behavior. A number of the shelter cats love to drown their toys, especially the ones with valerian root. What a stnky, soggy mess! :lol: There's a pair of felines boarded at the shelter a couple of times a year that "feed" their toys. They gather up their small toys every single day and put them in their food bowls. :D The larger the bowls, the more toys in them. The owners said it was both of them doing it.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love their antics....makes me laugh!

Just wish I better understood them.
20160624_072306.jpg

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Willow to, and then she pulls them out and drops the soggy thing next to me so I can toss it to her to fetch. She did that last week with one of her extra large Pom poms and I had to get a towel to dry the ottoman she dropped it on. Her water dish almost always has something at the bottom or is colored from something she has dropped. Keeping her water fresh and clean is a daily if not twice a day job.

Jayflower

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Olivie likes to dip her little fuzzy "poofs" in the water bowl. She likes to get them wet because then they will go farther when I throw them to her when we're playing fetch. Also, she likes to soak them in the water and then drink the water out of them.
IMG_4944 (2).JPG

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of the cats I catsit for does that. He's got two water bowls; one to drink from, and the other to dunk his toys in. I think they're secretly sadists and love hearing the drowning screams of fluffy mice.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feather toys are what get drowned in the water dish by my cat. We usually have a bedraggled row of them getting air-dried on the window sill.

(:wave3: fhicat fhicat , you were the Mentor who sent me a welcome PM when I joined TCS! wow! :thumbsup:)

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When he was a kitten Toffee used to do this with his toy mice, too. It wasn't fun waking up in the morning finding lots of soggy mice in his bowl!

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Raja and Mizu do this too. I read somewhere a while back that the cat is looking for a safe place for their beloved toys...their food and water bowls are considered a safe keeping place. I'm grateful my girls like springs...nothing soggy, just really clean plastic. :wow: