Drop trap

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I have been trapping using a conventional trap but there are a few cats that I have been trying to trap for quite some time now that will not go into the trap. I am thinking of getting a drop trap. Do you need two people to get the cat out of the drop trap into the transfer cage or can be done by one person? The few videos I have viewed make it look like it works best with two people.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I have been trapping using a conventional trap but there are a few cats that I have been trying to trap for quite some time now that will not go into the trap. I am thinking of getting a drop trap. Do you need two people to get the cat out of the drop trap into the transfer cage or can be done by one person? The few videos I have viewed make it look like it works best with two people.
I do believe that one person can not do that.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the opposite problem. I have one cat left to trap and all the fixed ones go in, not allowing him in! I am going to try the old bottle with a string trap, the bottle propping the door open and hopefully, the one I want will go in one. Then I'll pull the bottle out with the string. I had thought about a box trap but wondered how to get them out and into a carrier too. The ones I have seen have a small door built into the side, you put the carrier (covered with a blanket) against the small opening and the cat will run in trying to hide when you lift the blanket that is covering the drop trap after you catch him. I would slide a 1/4 inch piece of plywood between the cage and the carrier to keep him inside, slowly tip the carrier so the opening is facing up, keep the plywood in place, and quickly close the door.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I do own one and, if you are not familiar with them, it is definitely a two man job. I had an adult male cat escape once simply by throwing his weight hard enough against the side so as to displace the trap itself and allow for a small gap on the bottom between the ground and trap. He then inserted his paw and flipped it and ran. I was alone, but with two people I would have had a much better chance.

There are variations and the transfer part can be tricky. The one I have included bungee type cables that you attached to the drop trap and the transfer crate or trap so that it did not have to held solely by human strength.

I am not discouraging you, but watch a lot of videos, be familiar with whatever style of drop trap you use, and have someone with you.